Really need some help leveling my tank. (carpet/linoleum surface) (pics inside!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really need some help leveling my tank. (carpet/linoleum surface) (pics inside!)

Hey everyone, so i am having difficulties, and i really want to resolve this.

So i just bought myself a 75 gallon tank that i plan on turning into a Discus tank. only problem is that the spot i have, (this is the ONLY workable spot in the house, im 24 and live in a 850 sq ft trailer...) isnt big enough for the tank, and i have no choice but to put 6-8 inches of the stand on my carpet, and the majority of the stand will be on linoleum..

as you may be able to see, i threw some 1/4" plywood down to see if that would level it off, and no dice.

i HAVE to make something work here, i have so much money and so much time invested in this, i REALLY hope you guys can help me here.

here is the location im talking about, and you will see the carpet with the metal rivet..

**Ignore the door by the way, this is a NON functioning door and has no way to access it from outside.**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you filled the tank temporarily to see what the difference is from end to end. The carpet may compress enough. I have used thin pieces of slate and metal shims to help leveling.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have filled the tank and the difference isnt that badly off, but i noticed the left hand front corner of the tank wasnt sitting on the stand it was hovering a little off the stand which would tell me there was some twisting of some sort? but that may be the stand that i built myself, the plywood isnt completely flush on the top so im going to fix that tonight and tomorrow when i get the new tank i will see if that fixed the twisting.

i would still like this tank to be perfectly level if possible so i can sleep at night not thinking my tank will explode.

this 75G tank ended up having a pinhole leak on the bottom right corner... so im actually buying a brand new 75G tank tomorrow...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd cut that gold trim right where the tank is and remove it, that should level it out a lot more. The carpet will get pressed down by the weight of the tank. If you ever move the tank replacing that trim will be easy and cheap.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would place your stand on a level surface to make sure it's not the problem. That pin hole leak was problem the result of the twisting of the tank.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Yea if you remove that threshold,or at least trim it around the tank the weight will level it out. And pinhole leaks can be fixed easy by re sealing. Not as hard as most think,just look up videos.

-Chris
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If removing the rivet is not an option, you could make a small grove at the bottom of the stand that can go over the rivet. that should level out.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The metal strip is just the part that shows. Under the carpeting there is probably a tack strip that is something like a 1/4 " high. When they stretch the carpet, the tack strip holds it. Cutting that out is not a good idea as it might let the carpeting wrinkle. I would go for shims at the bottom corners of the stand to get both the stand level as well as the corners even height.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd have a piece of MDF cut to size to go under the tank to make sure that the stand itself doesn't twist, and then shim that to level.

Have you been up in the crawlspace underneath this spot to make sure that one of those walls is load-bearing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This dosen't look to be the greatest place to put a tank. Are you sure there isn't a better place?
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'd have a piece of MDF cut to size to go under the tank to make sure that the stand itself doesn't twist, and then shim that to level.

Have you been up in the crawlspace underneath this spot to make sure that one of those walls is load-bearing?
+1

Do not rest until the tank is dead on level both before filling and after. Lauraleellbp's answer is the correct one. If the stand is stout enough you might be able to shim it alone, but shims under a fresh flat surface for the stand to rest on is a bulletproof answer.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I live in a studio apartment, so I can understand being pretty space-limited.

Anyways, I think that's just a problematic spot for the tank, as the transition from linoleum-carpet is going to be difficult to work around, as several people pointed out up above.

Probably the best option I could think of for that stand/location/orientation is to use some adjustable feet, but the stand has to be built properly to accommodate them, and it would would concentrate the weight on a really small area, instead of spreading it out.

Since you stated you are going to get a new tank, I'd consider getting one that fits the available space better. It might cost a bit more, but the tank itself is a fairly minor cost considering everything else that goes into a fully setup aquarium.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Algae Grower

Can u not pull the tank and stand over towards the wall more? Where the little soccer ball is? The space there looks pretty close to the amount that is on the carpet. Or is the photo misleading?

Korya, New West - B.C. - Canada
75G Community Planted Tank
Turquoise Rainbows
Panda Corys
Rummy Noses
Neons
Clown Plecos
Albino BN Plecos
CO2
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so i think my tank is level enough to not worry, its not perfect but not badly off. i dont know if ill get it anymore perfect.

question though, i shaved down all the plywood on the top of the stand, and i put my new tank on there, and still the front left corner hovers off the stand, not nearly as bad as my last tank, but it still hovers, only about the width of a credit card, everywhere else lays flat on the stand....

for peace of mind, could i just jam 2 wood shims tight under the corner so that corner has full support?

will wood shims work for this? im assuming my stand must have a twist or something... its a DIY stand, and it is built like a tank, could probably support the weight of 200 gallons, taking it apart is really not an option as i have so much time and money invested into it.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
You mentioned you are in a trailer. Typically the flooring of those units aren't designed to hold that kind of weight. What's your floor like? As others have mentioned, I'd set the stand up somewhere level just to see how it fits, that will let you know if the tank corner should be resting flat on the stand or not. It seems a little sketchy, but what can you do? I've kept 20gal tanks only supported by the two side pieces. Don't know how that correlates to encouragement for your situation though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode