Idea for those running DIY CO2. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Idea for those running DIY CO2.

For those of us running DIY CO2 we cannot turn off the CO2 at night. It's been explained that adding an airstone to your tank at night would aid in adding the needed o2.

My idea comes from using an air pump with a timer for night time right into your DIY system.

Lets say you use a 2L pop bottle. In the cap you have a line running out for the co2 to be tranferred into the tank. WHy not add another line into the co2 cap that pushes o2 into DIY CO2 reactor? So at night say for 4 hours the pump turns on and o2 gets pushed through the system with the co2.

If your worried about adding it directly into the reactor, the airline o2 feed could be put into the seperator.

I'm going to try this when I recieve my DIY CO2 components in a week or so.

What do other think? I could doctor up a picture for people to see.

Riddler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Haven't thought of that...

Let us know how it works
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

I did up a quick picture. I'm definatly going to try this. With a check valve that will allow air into the system but not the co2 out when the pump is off.

Here is a "paint" mockup using John LeVasseur picture.

I'm going to purchase a juice bottle that has a 1-1.5" lid that screws on. I should be able to get 3 hoses into it and make this bottle my seperator.

Riddler

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run DIY C02 and have only been doing so for a little over 3 weeks. I bought the red sea bio system and it comes with a nice little submersible pump that just pumps water and it has a nifty attachment that brings the tube from the container of the DIY C02 to the attachment which basically blows/disperses/diffuses (whatever you want to call it) into the aquarium water. I set the pump to a timer so that at night it doesn't diffuse c02 into my aquarium. I'm not sure if it COMPLETELY stops C02 from entering the aquarium (I see the occasional big bubble come up) but I'd say it definitely does the job at stopping most from entering the system. In the mornings when I hear the pump turn on, there is a huge purge of built up C02 and it runs great every day for me. If anyone out there knows much more than please correct me if i'm wrong. The system works well for me and I think the pump gives you a good option. I found mine online for $20 a while ago. here is a link with a good picture of the pump
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~RS2241.html
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
yeah i also did an internal vortex reactor with the pump connected to the lighting timer. just put a burp holw somewhere so the build up CO2 can escape. Riddler's idea is great though, i haven't thought of that before

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
You are going to want a check valve in between the air pump and C02 setup....

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
You are going to want a check valve in between the air pump and C02 setup....
I did say this just prior to the picture I posted.

I guess I'll have to go buy a 2L of pop and a gatoraide bottle and get drinking so I can use these for my system.

I purchased special CO2 tubing, 2 different glass difusers, chack valves for co2, bubble counter and PH drop checker from Asia. Should be here this week or next. Once I have that I'll make sure to take pictures of everything I do and post it up.

Time to find a small airpump and dual plug timer. I want to time the lights and pump on this tank. Much easier for me.

Riddler
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
I did say this just prior to the picture I posted.
Apologies, I missed it.....

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
I would imagine that the tube would have to go into the cap as well as the others otherwise it wouldnt be as airtight.

Unless you used a flexible tube with the air pump and a smaller hole.

RAOK- Help Spread the Hobby!

-Kurtis
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
You could also add a T-piece at the tubing coming from the separator going to the tank. Might be easier/better seal than drilling into the side of the bottle or the cap.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evercl92 View Post
You could also add a T-piece at the tubing coming from the separator going to the tank. Might be easier/better seal than drilling into the side of the bottle or the cap.
Now thats an even better idea. I'll have to do that instead of adding another bulkhead since the caps are small.

Riddler
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i've been thinking about using a balloon cap for the co2 seperator so at night it can fill so i dont waste any co2 and if it get's too pressurized the ballon will explode instead of the bottles of yeast.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honor View Post
i've been thinking about using a balloon cap for the co2 seperator so at night it can fill so i dont waste any co2 and if it get's too pressurized the ballon will explode instead of the bottles of yeast.
LOL, You'd crap yourself if that happened in the middle of the night!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
hahaha i know, maybe 2 balloon capped co2 separators.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode