Cant remember steps for startup of planted aqaurium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cant remember steps for startup of planted aqaurium

Now I have been out of the game for awhile, and looking to get back in. I'm planning on running a high tech system. I have all the equipment just need the plants.

For some reason though I can't remember the steps after getting the plants in the tank. Only one that I remember is keeping lights on for a short period, and working your way up over a couple weeks to target photoperiod. But I don't remember if ei dosing was also cut in half and worked up, and how many water changes to do in a week in the beginning, etc.

I do remember how it should end up, ei everyday, 8-10 hour photoperiod, and 1/2 water change/reset every week. But I was sure that the startup was very demanding for the first month or so.

Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance hoping to put this 55g in the journals here this time around.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome back to the hobby!

Are you talking about starting up a tank when you're using ADA AquaSoil as a substrate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had two high tech tanks over the years, a 20 long and a 55. On both I started both packed with plants, CO 2 and full EI and once a week 50% water change from the get go. Don't remember a ramp up on the photo period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are using any of several particular substrates they may give off ammonia as they are getting used to being under water. This can be the ammonia supply to get the bacteria going. It will also provide nitrogen for the plants, so even if you have to dose other things, you might not need to dose nitrogen for a while.
Some substrates come with other fertilizers in them, too, and this would alter how you get going on the EI method.

Other than that, taking it slow and ramping up light, CO2 and ferts at the same rate is probably the right way to go about it.

Do not add livestock until whatever ammonia cycle might happen is complete.
When you do add fish or shrimp they might not have been kept in a tank with CO2 so you might need to reduce that for a week or so, then gradually get it back up to the right level.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies! I am using ada aquasoil amazonia. if I remember right that has some ammonia that will leak out. Will that affect how many water changes I should do at the start?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
OK, that's what it sounded like.

Yes, you'll need to do quite a few water changes at first to keep the ammonia levels in check with ADA AS.

Some people do daily 50% water changes for the first week or two, until the ammonia levels stay under 4-6ppm on their own, and then bottom out as the substrate gets cycled.

If you have another tank that you can pull some established filter media and mulm from, this can speed things up some.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok perfect I knew there was something. Will do the wc. Thanks for the help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode