3M matte black for a tank background? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
3M matte black for a tank background?

I've decided I'm going to re-do the background on my 90gal before I set it up again, as it's gotten pretty scratched up over the years.

I'd really like a matte finish rather than glossy.

I have a can of roll-on matte black Rust-oleum, but I'm considering other options.

Has anyone used this 3M matte black vinyl product who has pics? http://www.amazon.com/3M-MATTE-Black-Scotchprint-Series/dp/B0059KLTR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400435837&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+vinyl+wrap+matte+black

I just bought a small piece to try out on my nano tank to see if I like it. I especially like that it's supposedly easy reposition until you actually press it down, and easy to remove lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just used normal laytex paint for my 180 if i don't want it just need a razor blade

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
180 Gallon planted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Yeah, I know I can just re-paint it, and already have the paint if I decide to go that direction, just exploring other options.

This 3M vinyl product looks kinda cool, so wondering if anyone else has tried it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I painted a light stand with Rust-Oleum spray paint and 3 weeks later, it's still sticky to the touch. Latex paint would be your best bet.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

I have roll-on latex rustoleum. I know for a fact it will work fine, but if I like the way the 3M vinyl works and looks on my nano I'm going to take it back to HD.

I'm specifically curious if anyone else has already tried this particular 3M vinyl product for this particular application. I'd love to see pics, and possibly get some feedback on the application process.

LOL

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did my 50 in matt black on the back the plants look good against it , but depending on the color of the fish they blend in to much

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
I did my 50 in matt black on the back the plants look good against it , but depending on the color of the fish they blend in to much
With the 3M vinyl product?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not sure if you'll be able to get a matte background, unless you actually put something inside the tank. Otherwise, the glass itself will be glossy.

As to the inside of the tank, I imagine you could use krylon fusion - it's supposed to be aquarium safe when fully cured, but I also imagine it would scratch pretty easily.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used the krylon fusion on the outside yes the tank glass does give it some gloss appearance. Was a spray can
Also tried rolling on rustroleum and did not care for the finish used a smooth foam roller.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does anyone actually read the OP?

I use to wrap cars including windows in 3m Vinyl. I never used this exact series of 3M vinyl, but I really can't see why it wouldn't look good. Vinyl looks good through glass.

Post some pictures if you try it! I'm interested to see how it works out!

I tried a few things on my tanks so far and after painting and using privacy film, I now use black foam board that's held on with tape. It allows me to go see through back or black back at the drop of a hat.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ive used this type of stuff for a background and let me tell ya. its sucks to apply lol
wrinkles all over the place. I did not care for it much...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

I used construction paper as a temporary background. I was suppose to replace it with some shiny black background from my LFS or some automotive limo tint/film a week later but decided not to. It's only been a few weeks and I already have this cool looking surface algae growing on the back glass so anything used is now irrelevant. Fortunately, it's only growing on the back glass in patches and nowhere else.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by randpost View Post
Does anyone actually read the OP?
Apparently not. LOL

Quote:
I use to wrap cars including windows in 3m Vinyl. I never used this exact series of 3M vinyl, but I really can't see why it wouldn't look good. Vinyl looks good through glass.

Post some pictures if you try it! I'm interested to see how it works out!

THANK YOU, that's what I was looking for.

Quote:
I tried a few things on my tanks so far and after painting and using privacy film, I now use black foam board that's held on with tape. It allows me to go see through back or black back at the drop of a hat.
I considered foam board, but I haven't seen a single piece that's 48"x24", and I don't want to see any seams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy View Post
Ive used this type of stuff for a background and let me tell ya. its sucks to apply lol
wrinkles all over the place. I did not care for it much...
Hmmm... that's what I'm worried about. I'm hoping that the 3M product will be different and the application won't be too bad? But I'm trying it out on my nano before buying a big piece for my 90gal, just to see how it goes on.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought a piece of black foam board from Hobby Lobby that I'm planning to cut for my 29G. It didn't have dimensions on it, so I just went and held it up to an old 55G I have out in my garage. The height is good, but the length is about 8 inches short

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode