What worm would swim above the water line? fish deaths - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What worm would swim above the water line? fish deaths

i had a mass fish death a couple months ago, most of them just got bloated and died(all of my older fish), looked kinda like dropsy, today i found my goby with its intestines sticking out of the side of his belly(could be worms but its not moving) and also its bloated like the other fishes that died a couple months ago..

i think its the worms thats climbing on top of the glass, i always see these squiggly lines above the water line but NO SIGNS of any worms on the glass, i dosed seachem metronidazole and prazi pro a month ago and i still get these squiggly lines on the glass...

im starting to think i have worms now too.. there was this one time i saw what i beleived to be a round worm in the tank, because it was round and curled up into a ball, i took it out but that was the only worm i ever seen in my tank...

here are some pics, this is really bothering me... i dont like worms, especially since after reading about round worms, almost makes me want to quit the fish hobby..

i just added a picture of the fish, looks like intestines too me, maybe it hit something and got punctured? well the intestines or worms is only sticking out like 3mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	321962  

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	321970  

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	321978  

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	321986  

Algae.

Last edited by Algae.; 05-18-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: more pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might guess the trails are made by snails more likely than worms.
Have you done any testing of the water? Without knowing about the water conditions, you can only guess at the real cause of fish death. Water conditions are the thing that most often leads to disease. Rather than fight disease, I work on keeping my water in good shape. It works and it is much easier than trying to determine what is wrong when we wait too long.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae. View Post
i had a mass fish death a couple months ago, most of them just got bloated and died(all of my older fish), looked kinda like dropsy, today i found my goby with its intestines sticking out of the side of his belly(could be worms but its not moving) and also its bloated like the other fishes that died a couple months ago..

i think its the worms thats climbing on top of the glass, i always see these squiggly lines above the water line but NO SIGNS of any worms on the glass, i dosed seachem metronidazole and prazi pro a month ago and i still get these squiggly lines on the glass...

im starting to think i have worms now too.. there was this one time i saw what i beleived to be a round worm in the tank, because it was round and curled up into a ball, i took it out but that was the only worm i ever seen in my tank...

here are some pics, this is really bothering me... i dont like worms, especially since after reading about round worms, almost makes me want to quit the fish hobby..

i just added a picture of the fish, looks like intestines too me, maybe it hit something and got punctured? well the intestines or worms is only sticking out like 3mm.
Hi Algae,

I have the same thing in one of my tanks. They are likely one of the numerous detritus worm species and they will go above the water line like your pictures show. I have not found them to be a health issue for my fish, in fact I have raised Apisto fry and Rainbowfish fry with them in the tank with no ill effects.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I had a colony of worms once on one of my glass canopies that would do that. The fish would love it when I'd rinse some off the glass down into the aquarium for them to eat. I agree that it's unlikely that those are your problem.

I agree some water parameters would be helpful here.

Also- are you seeing this bloating before the fish die, or only afterwards?

It's really common for animals to bloat after death, and the pressure can push intestines out of the body.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
so i found out it was not a worm, i tore the tank down and put it outside for an emersed growth.. and i finally spotted the little thing, it is a tiny white ball thing, what could it be? does daphnia do this?? im hoping its daphnia so i can make a daphnia farm outsite

Algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode