How Salty? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How Salty?

How salty can I make a tank without causing issues for fish or plants? Is 1tsp to 2.5gal of water too much for plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Why do you want to add salt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I want to keep Nothobranchius and I heard they're very prone to velvet. My pH is low and my tap water has really low hardness. I think they like hard alkaline water, which is the only way I could get by without salt. That'd require constant dosing though, so I guess I kinda need to add salt.

Would 1tsp / 2.5gal be too much for plants to handle?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Which Nothobranchius? Are there any brackish species that would require the addition of salt? Salty water =/= hard water... not NaCl salt, anyways.

I don't think that the amount of salt that plants could tolerate for long periods of time would do anything for velvet.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Do you have driftwood in the tank? that will pull down your PH. Adding shells or crushed coral with help bring it up.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Which Nothobranchius? Are there any brackish species that would require the addition of salt? Salty water =/= hard water... not NaCl salt, anyways.

I don't think that the amount of salt that plants could tolerate for long periods of time would do anything for velvet.
Not really sure, I just know they're prone to velvet if kept purely in fresh water. Otherwise I would have gotten some already.

Does that "aquarium salt" stuff harden the water? What salt would harden it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Do you have driftwood in the tank? that will pull down your PH. Adding shells or crushed coral with help bring it up.
Yeah, but I also have ADA Aquasoil which brings the pH down a ton. My tap water is about 8.0, but my tank water is about 6.0.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd wanna order today so they'd get here this week... Anyone know how I could keep the plants happy and keep the nothobranchius from getting velvet? And is it likely they'd get velvet without the salt?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why did you make your name so long, it screws everybody's browsers up? I imagine the folks on the phones can't even see your posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
Why did you make your name so long, it screws everybody's browsers up? I imagine the folks on the phones can't even see your posts.
I've never had any issues reading his posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
Not for me, not even on mobile. You might have your browser settings different than others, like if you have larger text enabled. Again, I'm not sure why you're having an issue with it.

IIRC I wanted the name "Guppy" but naturally it was taken.

But back on topic does anyone know a solution to this? Am I able to keep nothobranchius without salt? Or will they definitely catch velvet without salt, without a doubt?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Velvet is a parasite. It doesn't just "magically" appear. Either your fish will bring velvet with them- at which point you will need to address it, or they won't.

IMO you need to get your tank and water parameters sorted out and stable for at least a month before you order your fish. Otherwise you're just wasting your money and dooming the fish.

You also need to do quite a bit more research to be sure you understand aquarium water chemistry.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Here's one of the best articles I've found online regarding velvet: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/oodinium

This is one of hundreds of threads on the forum with great info on water chemistry:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ard+water+salt

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Velvet is a parasite. It doesn't just "magically" appear. Either your fish will bring velvet with them- at which point you will need to address it, or they won't.

IMO you need to get your tank and water parameters sorted out and stable for at least a month before you order your fish. Otherwise you're just wasting your money and dooming the fish.

You also need to do quite a bit more research to be sure you understand aquarium water chemistry.
While mostly true, just like algae some parasites are always there but not always a problem until the right host or water params are there. But, I have never kept nothos in a community tank and could never get them to eat anything but live food.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just a thought. Maybe ur moving into killies too fast. Might be smart to see if you can master and breed the ones u have before trying the more delicate ones. just saying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

They're a dinoflagellate that reproduce like ich, and cannot live indefinitely without a host fish. If a tank has never been exposed to another organism that actively carried this particular parasite into it, it can not develop Velvet.

Algae spores, however, are always in the air, so can settle and grow anywhere conditions are favorable.

Pretty different, IMO.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode