will snails eat holes in planted ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool will snails eat holes in planted ?

I have some little black snails that are all over my aquarium. On the glass and plants. They came in on some plants , I guess. I see them on my annubias quite often , and they are getting small holes in them. Could this be the snails ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Pond/bladder snails will eat dead/decaying plant matter, some algae, biofilm, and leftover food. They do not eat healthy parts of plants, people find them on already damaged plants and blame them for the damage. If you have pinholes in your plants it may be a deficiency (can't remember which causes it sorry) post a photo, others will be able to help (of damaged plants and the snails).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:51 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
This subject comes up once in a while and, to me, is still open for debate. In a number of tanks that I do have pond snails and MTS in, apperently healthy plants do get eaten and i have no one else to blame for it.

Ime, some plants get decimated, like dwarf pennywort, some get nibbled on, like aromatica and Ludwigia repens, and some are left alone, like blyxa.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have never had a snail eat any living portion of a healthy, fully submersible plant. I've kept/keep MTS, a couple different "pond" snails, and ramshorn snails. They eat decaying plant matter/detritus and keep the tank quite clean in general. If I get beard/string algae, they will not eat it, however if I hit the algae with hydrogen peroxide and melt it, these snails will all pitch in on cleaning up the freshly dead algae. I personally consider them to be a requirement in my tanks.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/50%)
yes but only if that the only thing in the tank. I have a bunch of snails in a planted tank and they survive purely off of the healthy plants i have in there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have never seen a snail damage any plant leaf and have only seen ones that already have something going on with them. I have many, many snails in some of my tanks. They do little. If they did damage plants I would be out to kill everything I saw.

Eheim Pimp #448
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

pics of plant damage

Here are pics of annubias that were perfect a week ago. They have some ditom dust on them , I need to wipe off.

Last edited by rick dale; 01-11-2015 at 06:47 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Looks to me like you need to pull the rhizomes on those Anubias up out of the substrate and get some Nerites, Amanos, or Otos to help with that brown algae.

And then see if you're still getting holes in the Anubias.

You giving them any iron and potassium?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode