Rain Barrels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Rain Barrels

I seen a 50 gallon rain barrel at Home Depot for about $50.00 with a tap at the bottom and also you can get a stand for it. But I read on the label not to drink the water from it.

The reason I'm asking is, my tap water comes out at about 52 degrees and just recently my city has added or increased something they add to the water. The reason I know this is because I lost a fish at WC time. I thought the temp was ok. A week later another one died at water change time. I checked my tap water and it measured 1.0 ammonia. I used Prime but it didn't matter. Since then I filled a few 5 gallon buckets and let them set with prime added until water change time. No more deaths.

I was thinking that I could keep this barrel full of water in the spare room, add prime to it, run a power head in it to keep it circulating, and do all my water changes out of it.
Advantage would be the water temp after a week should be the same as the house temp by water change time and already dechlorinated. I could ever top off my tanks with it.

Wouldn't this be a good idea?

So my question is, why would it say to not drink the water? Would it be something in the plastic or maybe just because of water run off?
If it is the plastic, could it be made safe for fish?

Thanks
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 PM

I believe the only reason they say that is because someone might actually fill it with water , run a tube in through the kitchen window and use it as a redneck water fountain!
Then you would get sick from drinking the stagnant bacteria loaded water thats been in there for a year.

It would be safe for your purpose Im sure, they are just covering there butt just in case someone is that stupid...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I believe the only reason they say that is because someone might actually fill it with water , run a tube in through the kitchen window and use it as a redneck water fountain!
Then you would get sick from drinking the stagnant bacteria loaded water thats been in there for a year.

It would be safe for your purpose I'm sure, they are just covering there butt just in case someone is that stupid...
With that said. I bet there is a company info number on the tag you could call to double check! (But its probably because they don't want people drinking the rainwater its meant to collect from your house's gutters.

-Andrew

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:03 AM

50$ huh ?
I just might grab me a few to use for watering the garden ! I had never seen them there before but then again I was never looking !

Thanks for the unintentional help Joetee...I think you just gave me an easy and probably "cheaper" solution "in the long run" to a small gardening problem
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
You could also do what I did/do. Find someone selling food grade 55g barrels. I paid 15$ a piece. They contained fruit drink concentrate. I filled them with water and a small amount of bleach, let them sit for a week. Then emptied them, and refilled and added dechlorinator. Ive been using them for close to a year with no ill effects. I just added an air pump and airstones. I fill with water after water change and let sit for up to a week with the aeration. Just tryin to help out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtastic View Post
You could also do what I did/do. Find someone selling food grade 55g barrels. I paid 15$ a piece. They contained fruit drink concentrate. \
Was the fruit drink any good? lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks all. I wish I could find some food grade barrel's for that price.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
fishtastic, where do you get food grade barrels? Grocery stores? or restaurants? Where would be a good place to approach?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I get mine from a regular person, who goes and buys them buy the thousand. Also, try searching for rain barrels on google.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Joe, there used to be a Army surplus place out Winchester road that sold food grade barrels, I think I paid 15 or 20 bucks for mine. I used them for everything from holding water to raising fry. Just bleach them a few times, rinse and let them dry out and they should be ready to go. You might try the Coke distributor as well, that was where mine came from and the place on Winchester Road bought them in bulk. I always ran a Mag 350 full of charcoal instead of a powerhead, couldn't hurt.

I haven't had any trouble with the water, usually it's an overdose of chloramines that they put in, a double dose of Prime and a few minutes with an airstone usually fixes it. Our water company is bad about just putting all kinds of crap in the water and not bothering to tell anybody. How big are the water changes you were doing? I never run straight cold tap, I just adjust the temp to 75 or so and don't have any trouble, even in my shrimp tanks. I do 10-20 percent water changes on 8 tanks every week and havent' had any problems with losing fish.

Oh, and the reason it says "do not drink" is probably the same reason my wife's hair straightener says, "Caution, may burn eyes." (that hair straightener cracks me up, it also says "In Canada-DO NOT USE INDOORS")Because people do some dumb things and if it didn't say do not drink there would invariably be some cases of people drinking stagnant rain water from the thing, getting sick and then sueing the company that makes it... If it's made from ABS plastic it's more than likely fine, if you want to test it just fill it up, dechlor it and put a few goldfish in.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
so it sounded your water company added chloramine to your water... Did you add enough prime?

I believe even though you added prime you would still register ammonia from a test. And it takes a week or 2 for chloramine to break down without prime.

Man, I'm glad I don't have chloramine. Sounds like a headache. I hear sunlight/UV breaks down these molecules.. I wonder if a UV sterilizer would help too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode