How can I use Python to water my garden? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lightbulb How can I use Python to water my garden?

I love my python because it makes changing water in my 4 tanks quick and easy. However, I feel guilty wasting all the water when emptying the tanks. Is there a way to siphon the water from the fish tank to my garden instead?

I know that I can use a garden hose to siphon the water from my tank, out a window, then outside. However my veggie garden is in the backyard and far from where my tanks are situated.

Has anyone ever tried to hook the python up to a garden hose? Is there a way to siphon the water from the tank into a rain barrel?

I just want to find a way to save the aquarium water for the garden instead of washing it away down the drain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You could try attaching a tube to the bottom of the python and run it into a bucket or barrel. I know the aquaeon water changer has this available that you purchase separately and its pretty much the same as the python so you should be able to find a way to do it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I have attached my python to a regular-sized garden hose to do just what you suggested. It's easy and works well. Your garden will be very happy!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Regular old gravel vac or whatever tubing you want. (A bit of sponge over the end to keep fish in the tank, out of the tubing)
Siphon downhill into barrel, garbage can, bucket...
Fountain pump to garden.

My property is slightly sloped. (2%)
From the house a gravity only system will only go so far, and nothing uphill (of course) and the flow is very slow when long runs of hose (tubing... anything) are used.

So I siphon close to the tank into a 15 gallon storage container, clean the filter in that, then pump it to wherever I want in the garden, moving the hose as needed. I use a fountain pump rated at 300 gph with no head, I have no idea how many gph it is moving with 50' or so of hose, and not too far off level. But it is fast.

I use the same equipment to harvest rain water, moving pump and hose to each rain barrel.

To use a Python to do this I would imagine you need to hook it up to the faucet to get the flow going, then redirect the output to the garden. Can you hook it up to a hose bib so it is already out in the garden?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Do you have a picture? Would I just connect the male and female part of the python and garden hose then turn the outside hose on? I guess I would put the output part in the water reciprocal... This might work. Do you keep the water running? Or just turn it on the start the siphon?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Siphon the water into a barrel outside. Then use a water pump to pump the water to where you want it. I also do this with my waste water from my RO unit.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have been waiting on the rain to stop to try attaching the python to the garden hose outside. If it works then I need to save up for a rain barrel and/or pump. My husband isn't convinced that siphoning the water out of the tank into the barrel will work because of the tank will be at the same level or lower than a barrel. I don't know. I will need to experiment.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the tank is not above where you are trying to put the water, it won't work.

I have some tanks in the basement, and siphon the waste water into a bucket. I place a submersible pump in the bucket, and pump the water through a garden hose into my yard. You need a fairly powerful pump to do this.

If you decide to use a pump, you should look at its Max Head: how far up it can lift water.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJu View Post
I have been waiting on the rain to stop to try attaching the python to the garden hose outside. If it works then I need to save up for a rain barrel and/or pump. My husband isn't convinced that siphoning the water out of the tank into the barrel will work because of the tank will be at the same level or lower than a barrel. I don't know. I will need to experiment.
If you don't mind a little DIY you can make a rain barrel very cheaply. Your local Coca-Cola/Pepsi bottling plant sells empty syrup barrels for $10. Mine only does it on Friday morning, and only takes checks; so you'd have to call to be sure. The barrels are either blue or white 55 gallon, food-grade, and made from high density polyethylene. After you get the barrel, simply drill a hole near the bottom and insert a hose bib. Cut a hole in the top and cover it with hardware cloth to screen out debris from the downspout. Modify the downspout to redirect the gutter's water into the barrel. It works best if you put it up on blocks.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 05-18-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: corrected punctuation
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When draining you don't need to hook up to the faucet at all. Just put the siphon tube in the tank angled up so you can fill the tube with water then hold it straight up until the water starts flowing down the hose. Then quickly put the siphon back into the tank before all the water is gone from the tube. You might have to do that a couple times. Once it starts flowing it won't stop until you break the suction.

I drain my tanks out the back door some into 5 gal buckets for cleaning filter media, the rest to the garden.

Don't know if you can drain directly to the rain barrel because of the height but you could fill up buckets then dump them into the rain barrel. Bit more work though.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm able to take the top off my two 55 g rain barrels. From there I just drop in a pond pump, I picked up used at a garage sale, hooked up to a garden hose with a sprinkler or soaker at the end and boom. I'm watering with gray water from my tank.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
I have attached my python to a regular-sized garden hose to do just what you suggested. It's easy and works well. Your garden will be very happy!
+1

We always use a regular garden hose. I've been using it for so long, I can't remember how exactly my husband attached it though.

29 gallon cube with an angelfish named Angelo and 29 gallon with cories waiting for some shrimp friends.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode