how to use diatom powder??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ok i got some diatom powder. i have a regent aquatech 200 canister filter which is the same as a magnum h.o.t. they look exactly the same anyway. but how can i put the powder in the canister without it all just washing out? what could i put it in to keep it inside the filter? i need some help quickly i am too impatient to wait on my green water to clear. HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Usually you'll need to have a cartridge that has a fine enough weave to trap the diatom powder and allow it to form a coating. With the Magnum filters you'd use the diatom powder in combination with the micron cartridge, so you'd need to find the equivelant of Magnums micron cartridge to use with your Aquatech.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 02:13 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dogg76,

I haven't used your particular filter, but I can give you the general idea. First, you put in a pleated paper filter with pores that are finer than the diatom powder. You add the powder to the canister filter and shake it gently to mix the diatom powder, then turn on the filter while the diatom powder is still in suspension. The diatom powder gets sucked up against and forms a layer all over the paper filter. The diatoms have extremely fine pores all over their surface, so you have essentially created an "ultra-fine filter" by sucking the diatoms against the coarser paper filter. This "scrubs" or "polishes" the water by removing even the tiniest particles.

You probably know this, but just to be certain...

A diatom filter is only used for a short while to remove very fine sediment, algae, etc. from the tank water. Because the diatom pores are so tiny, they will clog pretty quickly, so you don't want to use diatom powder as your regular filtering media.

I hope this answered your question!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogg76
ok i got some diatom powder. i have a regent aquatech 200 canister filter which is the same as a magnum h.o.t. they look exactly the same anyway. but how can i put the powder in the canister without it all just washing out? what could i put it in to keep it inside the filter? i need some help quickly i am too impatient to wait on my green water to clear. HELP!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode