plastic tubing size? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plastic tubing size?

Quick question,
What is the id of the tubing that comes off of a bubble counter? I have been trying to find this out for an hour and all I can find is, "fist standard size tubing". For crying out loud, what if you don't know what the standard size is? Like I wasn't born knowing what the standard size tubing is, lol.

Thanks, I am trying to get out to home depot and this is holding me up. Sorry to rant :-)

Looking for fitting to connect the tubing to a DYI Co2 reactor I am planning on building, providing I can find all the parts I need. I just don't know what size fitting to get. I'm guessing 1/4" (6mm).

Last edited by Mega Shrimp; 05-17-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Regular airline tubing is usually 1/8" or 3/16" I.D. and I've never seen it sold at a home improvement store. Try an aquarium or pond store or order it online.

Airline tubing for a CO2 system is similar size but the material is different. Check out some posts for CO2 tubing.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks deeda,
Home Depot does indeed carry a variety of plastic tubing, although tubing is not what I am looking for. I am building a Co2 reactor and need to purchase a male barb fitting for the reactor. That fitting will allow me to connect the Co2 feed from the bubble counter. I don't want to buy the wrong size fitting, build the thing, only to find out later that I have the installed the wrong size barb fitting and be unable to connect the Co2 feed to it.

I guess I'm more familiar with other industries, but I find it unusual to see a part sold that doesn't mention the size of the counter-part that it mates to.

That leaves the buyer with having to take the part down to the store to match it up. In my case that's rather annoying as I can't finish building my reactor until I know for sure what size fitting I need.

~Shrimp

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You may have to do a search for building a CO2 reactor to get an idea of the proper parts to use. I don't 'do' CO2 but I have seen a few threads on how to build them.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Shrimp View Post
Thanks deeda,
Home Depot does indeed carry a variety of plastic tubing, although tubing is not what I am looking for. I am building a Co2 reactor and need to purchase a male barb fitting for the reactor. That fitting will allow me to connect the Co2 feed from the bubble counter. I don't want to buy the wrong size fitting, build the thing, only to find out later that I have the installed the wrong size barb fitting and be unable to connect the Co2 feed to it.

I guess I'm more familiar with other industries, but I find it unusual to see a part sold that doesn't mention the size of the counter-part that it mates to.

That leaves the buyer with having to take the part down to the store to match it up. In my case that's rather annoying as I can't finish building my reactor until I know for sure what size fitting I need.

~Shrimp
Usually the tubing used from a bubble counter is the same size as aquarium airline tubing.

When I have to do a project like this I usually go to the LFS and get a length of rigid airline tubing. It's sold usually for replacing the that tube in an undergravel filter. Then to make the fitting to your reactor, cut a short length of rigid tubing, drill a matching hole in the reactor and glue it in.

It's cheep, easy to do, and it if breaks, easily reparable,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode