Critique my tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Critique my tank!

Hi all - new to the forum here.

I've been working on a 37g planted tank for the last 2 weeks. I'm running with 55w X 2 6700 bulbs, stock jebo "in hood" filtration. No co2 yet - but it will be here on thursday.

My biggest problem is getting the aquascape to look right! I think it looks good now, but something just isn't right. Here is a photo of my tank for critiscism!

Also keep in mind - this will be an apisto OR ram tank. I already have a BN and 20 ember tetras in here. Further stocking advice is welcome too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3765 (Medium).JPG
Views:	143
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	7401  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

Welcome to the forum! I think your tank is off to a great start. IMO it might need a few taller plants to cover up the right side a little more but it didnt grow in yet so keep us updated. I really like the driftwood!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's a great piece of wood! Planting should look great as it grows in.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I think patience is needed right now, let the plants grow taller in the back and the grass fill the foreground. This has potential.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
spread out those dwarf sags.. and get CO2 and dose nutrients... or your plants will be covered in algae.. been there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Interesting driftwood, I would personally use a shorter foreground plant like hc or glosso which wont cover up the driftwood.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think it looks pretty good.

Do keep in mind if you have more than 1 pair of apistos or rams,(ie: a harem of apistos such as 2f/1m or 2 pair of rams) you will need some sort of caves for the apisto females or territory markers for the rams. The male apisto will treat the whole tank as his territory but the females need something of their own that they will defend and where they will eventually spawn. Is that one solid piece of driftwood or 2 pieces? Territory markers can be driftwood or even a larger plant to where it can block the sight of other fish for a bit, giving them a sense of having their own small territory.

Also what I have learned in my experience with a planted tank and having it look decent (and what I still still struggle with everyday) is patience to let it all grow in and fill out. I want it to look good and full NOW and that is the difficult part.

Just my 2 cents
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

Add something dark to break up the foreground, like a big rock or a rock pile. The key to a nice 'scape is depth and contrast. Think about creating some shadowy spots too, if you can. check out my tank in "view user tanks" for an example of what I mean
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

If that's an Anubias over on the left front of the tank, the rhizome needs to be pulled out of the substrate. IMO it would do best (plus look really good) tied onto the driftwood instead of in the substrate.

You're going to want a different filter- something better than a Jebo for sure, and if that "in hood" filter has a biowheel on it you'll lose most of the CO2 to outgassing long before the plants can use it. A canister filter would probably give you the best filtration plus circulation for the tank. Rena Filstars, Eheims, Fluvals, Marineland are all good brands.

Do you have your fert regime figured out yet? www.RexGrigg.com would be a good place to research plant needs and also buy a dry fert comb package.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the input and complements

ace123:

"Welcome to the forum! I think your tank is off to a great start. IMO it might need a few taller plants to cover up the right side a little more but it didnt grow in yet so keep us updated. I really like the driftwood!"

There's a type of sword on the right side - I'm sure it'll outgrow the tank. I do want to add something to the left though - maybe Telanthera Rosefolia? Something red?

ValorG:

"Interesting driftwood, I would personally use a shorter foreground plant like hc or glosso which wont cover up the driftwood."

I was kind of thinking the same - HC it is!
stlfishlover:

"I think it looks pretty good.

Do keep in mind if you have more than 1 pair of apistos or rams,(ie: a harem of apistos such as 2f/1m or 2 pair of rams) you will need some sort of caves for the apisto females or territory markers for the rams. The male apisto will treat the whole tank as his territory but the females need something of their own that they will defend and where they will eventually spawn. Is that one solid piece of driftwood or 2 pieces? Territory markers can be driftwood or even a larger plant to where it can block the sight of other fish for a bit, giving them a sense of having their own small territory.

Also what I have learned in my experience with a planted tank and having it look decent (and what I still still struggle with everyday) is patience to let it all grow in and fill out. I want it to look good and full NOW and that is the difficult part.

Just my 2 cents "

That is actually 2 pieces of driftwood. The piece on the left is actually root - you can't tell from the photo, but it divides that area into 3 maybe 4 hideouts. I'll have to work w/ it a little more...

Lambasted:

"Add something dark to break up the foreground, like a big rock or a rock pile. The key to a nice 'scape is depth and contrast. Think about creating some shadowy spots too, if you can. check out my tank in "view user tanks" for an example of what I mean"

I couldn't find your photos! Great idea though. I'll try to find your photos again - I'd like to see an example of what you're talking about.

lauraleellbp:

"Welcome to TPT!

If that's an Anubias over on the left front of the tank, the rhizome needs to be pulled out of the substrate. IMO it would do best (plus look really good) tied onto the driftwood instead of in the substrate.

You're going to want a different filter- something better than a Jebo for sure, and if that "in hood" filter has a biowheel on it you'll lose most of the CO2 to outgassing long before the plants can use it. A canister filter would probably give you the best filtration plus circulation for the tank. Rena Filstars, Eheims, Fluvals, Marineland are all good brands.

Do you have your fert regime figured out yet? www.RexGrigg.com would be a good place to research plant needs and also buy a dry fert comb package."

Thank you It is anubias - but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. A new filter is next on my list - I never did like the stock filter - but it gets me by for now...

I haven't figured out a fert regime yet - I did use flourish tabs, and daily trace element drops. I didn't know about RexGrigg.com - I'll check it out asap. thanks for the link!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode