How much time do you spending watching? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
How much time do you spending watching?

You know, just sitting in front your tank watching the inhabitants? This IMO is the primary purpose of maintaining these complex environments and yet because of the pace of my days I find myself NOT watching for days at a time.

I am talking about at least a ten minute session where I get to lose myself. No getting wet or maintenance; feeding allowed.

Years ago I came home (was living alone) from work once and sat down in front of my tank and did not move until bedtime - completely forgot about dinner.

The answer to my original question is I sit for maybe twice per week, much less time than I spend on maintenance. This is not right. I am getting my doses in short glances and I think I need longer sessions. Just sayin'.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Initially, I would sit there and watch them for an hour, but now only for 10 or 30 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I stopped staring to long because algae makes me wanna go OCD on the tank. I just let things grow and then once it looks to my desire then sometimes I stare and wonder if there's anyway I can make it better which leads to a rescape

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
i've noticed that too, I spend way more time working/tinkering/researching the tanks than actually sitting and watching them.

kinda funny how that works.

Now that I have the 29g in the living room though, it definitely gets a lot more viewtime

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I spend way more time working/tinkering/researching the tanks than actually sitting and watching them.
Same here.
However, I have a cheap wooden chair in front of my tank that is definitely my happy place. I have a busy job and little kids so it's hectic as soon as I walk through the door at dinnertime. Once we get them put to bed, though, I spend a good 20 minutes each week night just watching fish and relaxing. Sometimes my wife joins me there, too. My favorite thing is to play "find the otocinclus". Tank maintenance has to wait till Saturday. If I had more time, I could easily spend an hour a day just watching.

So, I guess the short answer to the question is "about 100 minutes per week".

Wife and I agree that even though the aquarium hobby isn't nearly as inexpensive as I anticipated, it still beats de-stressing with alcohol and TV.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once M.T.S. kicks in, it's really hard to pay the appropriate amount of attention to all of them. But I agree that I watch the fish in my 29G for a good 20 minutes a day. I also have a rack right next to my desk with six tanks/vases. I watch those a fair amount. Getting ready to start a new job working from home, so I'll probably be doing a lot more staring
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
It varies depending on how busy I am. I recently went from 2 tanks to 7 (I got mts bad)! Between maintaining them all I don't get to sit and gawk as much as I'd like for each. Some days I can stare at a single tank for 10+ minutes, usually its a much shorter time though, lmaybe 1-2 minutes.
I definitely spend a lot of time re-scaping, especially my 20g long which I have the most specific idea of what I want it to turn into (keep adjusting as I add/remove plants). With 7 tanks and bucket brigade duty (really want a python) I spend a good bit of time siphoning and hauling water around too.
But the tanks are all in active areas of the house so even if I can't sit and stare for several minutes on end I can get glances or stop for a few seconds to look as I pass through the rooms they are in. The 2 most recently set up tanks are in the office which I am in at least a few hours a day and they are on the desks my husband and 1 sit at so we both get to view them longer than the others. 3 of them are in the room just outside the office and an decently active area of the house. The last two are in the living/family room by the door which me and my husband relax in after work while and after prepping dinner so we can watch those two in the evening and see anytime we head out.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

For me it's probably 30-40 minutes a day, more if I'm just stressed since it kind of relaxes me seeing the fish swim around and play with each others. It doesn't get really anymore view time from my family or guests, unless they are in my room since that's where it is located at.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
As much time as I can. Don't have a set time but have definitely spent multiple hours on occasion. Some times just a minute or two.

I find it really helps with rescaping to sit there for long periods of time and think what would look best where.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-20-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
With about 900G of water and in the area of 25 tanks, everything from eggs on a slate to a 180G planted display, the weeks are pretty maintenance-packed.

But I make a point of getting up early on weekends.

I run blue actinic lighting for a sunrise and sundown effect in the fish room and the 180G in the den.

With the blue glow of those lights, a hot cup of coffeee in hand, I move my stool from area to area and just take it all in and the mayhem of the week seems long gone.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
now that school is over ihave all the time to sit infront of my tank lol
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Crappy iphone pic, but you get the idea. If I'm watching my TV I'm watching my tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	321362  

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My aquarium is strategically placed by the main chair that I hang out in when I'm reading, surfing, researching, or enjoying some bourbon or scotch. I stare into it all the time since it's normally only about a foot away from me. It's very easy to just get lost in it. I really love it, but it does drive the urge to mess with it more often.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

The question doesn't make sense for me.

The tank is in the living/dining room, and is easily seen from the kitchen, so if I'm in my house, I'm watching the tank. It's not focussed watching for long periods, more like 10-15 seconds every minute. My eyes just kind of naturally drift to it when I am doing something else. I'll look at it for a bit and then go back to what I was doing before.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachawry View Post
The question doesn't make sense for me.

The tank is in the living/dining room, and is easily seen from the kitchen, so if I'm in my house, I'm watching the tank. It's not focussed watching for long periods, more like 10-15 seconds every minute. My eyes just kind of naturally drift to it when I am doing something else. I'll look at it for a bit and then go back to what I was doing before.
Exactly

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode