Sagittaria subulata vs. Echinodorus tenellus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This may seem like a bit of a strange question but is there a way to tell the difference between the two? I recieve some plants and was told they were Echinodorus tenellus, but I am highly suspect that they may in fact be Sagittaria subulata since they seem to grow 12+ inches tall. Leaf shape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Echinodorus tenellus only grows to about 6 inches in height and spreads like a plauge... Sagittaria subulata can grow to 12 inches and seems to be less prolific and acts more like a Val.... IME

Heck if you want some Echinodorus tenellus I will give you some to compare...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Planted Member

My Saggitaria subutala is extremely prolific and fast growing. In my tanks the Saggitaria has broader leaves than the Echinodorus tenellus. Also, the leaves of the Saggitaria emerge from deeper under the gravel and look therefor more compact. The base of the leaves of the Echinodorus tenellus is completely above the substrate and therefor seems to spread more.

EDIT: Maybe I was not as clear as I could have been. My Saggitaria runers are about 1/2'' deep under the substrate. My Echinodorus runner run above the substrate. There, that was easier.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:29 AM
2la

Aside from size, tenellus typically has a more distinct central vein, and the leaves don't curl downward to the same degree as dwarf sag. I've not personally noticed runner position to be a reliable distinguishing feature, but it could vary from case to case.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Upon further inspection I think it is a sag or possibly a val of some type. I'll post a photo sometime to try to get a positive id.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode