Craigslist Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Craigslist Aquarium

hi! just wanna get your opinion, i bought a complete 75gal aquarium set (oceanic) with sump this morning, afternoon i test it for leak and it passed, do you still reseal the tank even though it doesn't have a leak?

Here is the picture of the tank i bought , paid $200 for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thats always up to the end user if you ask me. If you're comfortable trying to reseal it then you might as well go ahead and do it. On the otherhand, if the tank is not leaking now and you don't re-seal it correctly; well then you've got a $200 problem!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 AM
Planted Member

Always liked Oceanics; good luck.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've always been of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, myself lol

Nice score!

Have you decided if you're going to retrofit the hood, or go topless yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think that whole hood/cabinet setup is absolutely gorgeous. Pretty good deal you got!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm with Lauraleellbp, if it's not broken don't mess with it. I also can't believe you got that tank for 200 that's at least a 500 dollar Craigslist tank around me.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Great price on that tank! If it passed the water test and the seals look good I'd leave it alone.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a couple of used 29Gs running where the bottom silicone beads look like the previous owner ran a weed whacker over them. Never been an issue.
If yours passed a leak test and the visible vertical silicone is in good shape, consider it a true steal.
But I also have a used 90G that I've had running for well over 10 years now. I really wish I had re-sealed this one. The vertical silicone beads weren't exactly abused, but were just slightly tattered at the edges. The only safe way to remove algae that builds up in the ridge between the glass and the silicone is with a soft-bristled toothbrush with the head bent back. I don't dare bring a scraper or razor blade within 1/4" of that line.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Yea dont mess with the seal the original is bettter than what you can do if you don't do it all the time. If it doesnt leak it is good! If your worried keep it filled for a few days and just see what happens.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I go with the idea of using it as is. But then I can't see how bad the silicone might be! My thinking is that if there is going to be a leak at some point in the future, it will not be a great big sudden failure but a slight ooze. That leaves me thinking that if the algae buildup under parts of the silicone is not enough to bother you, I leave it but also have a backup plan kind of formed. Just in case? Maybe think of what to do with fish, etc. if you found an ooze that required draining the tank that day to avoid water damage. At first a towel will be able to catch the water for a day or so but not keep it off the stand or other things as it begins to get worse. Just part of being prepped for bad things that might never happen.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You know it dosen't leak so the next thing to do is look carefully at your seams inside and out. You are looking for any imperfections. From the outside there should be no cracks or scalloped glass and no apparent fail of the silicone seal between the panels (no air or dirt having intruded into this space). From the inside again your looking for any apparent imperfections in the silicone such as significant lifting off the the glass, dirt etc under the silicone, or missing seal altogether where it has been ripped away. Gently rub your finger on the seal, it shouldn't lift from the glass. If all looks well then don't touch it. If you find a specific area damaged you can overseal it with silicone patch. If you find it is rough all over then you'd have to cut away the interior seal (not cut apart the panels) cleaning all traces of silicone off the glass and running new beads around all corners. If the joints themselves are in rough shape you are probably best off to take it to a tank repair place and have it taken apart and re-siliconed.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
nice tank, I like the dark finish on the stand and canopy.

-Jacklyn
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you all!! ;-) the silicone inside the tank seems to be fine, i am just gonna use it as is.. :-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode