Planed power outage - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Planed power outage

So were I live is planning a 4 hour power outage to move some utilities , i have 5 running tanks with 5 filters , I have previously purchased a inverter 2500 watt for my car not yet installed .
So I'm wondering if during this outage I should leave my car in the driveway running to power my filters?

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Four hours shouldn't be much of an issue if you're lightly stocked. Usually the issue with power outages comes in the form of overly low temperatures.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think if its only 4 hours you'll be fine without the filters running. If you have a co2 set up that runs without power, you should turn it off. The fish and plants will be able to handle the temperature drop, its the lack of oxygen that gets them. Last outage I had my tanks went 30 hours without power and everything lived. Also walmart sells the little bait buckets with the battery powered airstone for around 20 bucks, you could put the airstone in each tank for around an hour for added oxygen.

Last edited by greaser84; 05-15-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Temperature is not a problem,I'm in southern ca its 100 today , my biggest concern is the good bacteria in the filters dying,
I have 3 battery powered air pumps no batteries.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
The bacteria should be fine as long as they're wet. Four hours is not that long a time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
But running your car for 4 hrs under the temp of 100+ might cause you more $$$ damaging your engine, don't you think so?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you are really concerned just get a cup and scoop up some water and pour it back in a couple of times every 15 minutes or so. Oxygen is exchanged from the water movement and surface area of the tank. Just scooping up some water and dumping it back in a couple times an hour would be more than enough to keep everything happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If this "plan" isn't for a while or not in the next few hrs anyway, you can test if the fish have enough Oxygen by just turning the filter off now and any air pump also for an hr
or so and watch them. If they quickly start hanging at the surface of the water you might want to get those batteries and Walmart sells about three kinds of battery
air pumps. If after an hr they haven't come to the top..not a problem/w the stocking level.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I think your beneficial bacteria will be alright as long as they don't dry out (keep media wet/submerged). I've had my filter fail to start after a power outage over night.. from the blinking time on all digital clocks it was off for roughly 6 hours. Kick started it and it worked fine, no issue with the colony dieing as a test later that day still showed good stats for ammonia and nitrate (0ppm). I've heard that if your BB died from being too stagnant (or other reasons) it will smell like an open sewer (not experienced this myself to confirm yet). But I would not worry too much. If you have time before the outage, do as stated above and test turning everything off for a short period when you can closely monitor the fish and see how they do.. Personally I'd have a generator or monster battery back-up to plug essentials into (for you it sounds like filters), just in case that 4 hour outtage turns into a "We found more complications and the power will be out for a few days.. sorry for the inconvenience!"

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Rather than the idea of trying it to see, I would make other plans. Since one of the concerns might be the loss of BB, I would not want to risk killing a few now as a test. You may need them. For a short term power outage, I would plan to have everything as clean as practical and the water in good shape. I would also want to have all the items in place to do several water changes during the outage if practical. The fish don't need the filters if you keep the water clean and moving. The bacteria should be good for that short time but if you have HOB, pouring water through would help assure this.
The inverter is good and doesn't have to actually be installed, just connected to the car for power. It doesn't need to run full time, just 15 minutes each hour to get O2 to it all would be my plan since it is on hand.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There widening the street next to my house thus moving utilities at 3am.
Never really planed on installing the inverter ( could void the car warranty) just going to hook it up and set it on the driveway most likely will run the tanks complete 1at a time for 15min. Just for the bb and c02.
There was another thread on here not long ago about outages and generators just didn't have the funds for that the inverter it self set me back $250
Thanks to everyone foe positive feedback.

Going to get up at 3 am for my fish ouch this has gone overboard but to late to give up now a puppy would of ben so much easier

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Yeah puppy is easier.. but you have to potty train it and get through the dreaded "teething phase", fish can't run away, get run over by a car, or get rabies.. soo that's good right?? I figure its fine to dive into a hobby "if it costs less than keeping a kid, its not overboard". Make sure to set up an alarm that won't need the power (battery run) in case they start early.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If the power goes out at three, five will be a better time to do the first run? The tanks will be good for the first hour as things have been running? I just used jumper cables for my temp hookups. Good luck and sleep well?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
If the power goes out at three, five will be a better time to do the first run? The tanks will be good for the first hour as things have been running? I just used jumper cables for my temp hookups. Good luck and sleep well?
That time I can handle , I bought a wire set to hook the inverter up .

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode