Want to try a 10g planted for my class room - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Want to try a 10g planted for my class room

hey guys first time poster here. i recently got into planted tanks as my reef setup took a dive while on vacation. Too exp to start up again so went back to freshies but wanted to try planted. i currently have a 55g bowfront with some nice plants growing well. id like to try a 10g for my classroom where i work. I have a spare tank and everything i need except lightning. i would like to grow anything lol. probably clipping from my main tank but i would LOVE to get some dwarf hairgrass to cover tank floor. what kind of lighting am i looking for? ive read the wpg threads and thinking cfls are the way to go money wise. i have a clip on grow light from reef sump i might use. but what type of ligt do i need? since its one bulb what range do i want 6500? 5000? 18k? id like to get whiter light but if need be for plants ill go with the yellowish ones. any help would be nice. PS this is old 10g basic rimmed tank u get for 20 bucks lol. thanx in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

You can try a dual T5HO fixture on the 10 gallon. I had the aquaticlife 24" fixture on the 10gallon with a nice carpet of hairgrass. But also had pressurized co2. With the light and co2 you can pretty much grow any plant you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jramy123 View Post
hey guys first time poster here. i recently got into planted tanks as my reef setup took a dive while on vacation. Too exp to start up again so went back to freshies but wanted to try planted. i currently have a 55g bowfront with some nice plants growing well. id like to try a 10g for my classroom where i work. I have a spare tank and everything i need except lightning. i would like to grow anything lol. probably clipping from my main tank but i would LOVE to get some dwarf hairgrass to cover tank floor. what kind of lighting am i looking for? ive read the wpg threads and thinking cfls are the way to go money wise. i have a clip on grow light from reef sump i might use. but what type of ligt do i need? since its one bulb what range do i want 6500? 5000? 18k? id like to get whiter light but if need be for plants ill go with the yellowish ones. any help would be nice. PS this is old 10g basic rimmed tank u get for 20 bucks lol. thanx in advance!
You want 6500K for growing plants. They have the best Photosyntheically Active Radiation (PAR). I have a 24watt 6500k CFL from homedepot and lamp i got for $20 over my 10gal and works great, but a refugium light will probably work even better. . But be warned you probably wont get a carpet of DHG w/o CO2. However I think it would be a great demonstration of fermentation for your class if you do the DIY CO2 setup and put those yeast to work!

If you dont go with any CO2, some easy plants id recomend would be; Java Ferns, hygrophila angustifolia, Bacopa Carolina, Camboba, and Crypts. With the first two plants propbably being the easiest to grow. You can get Java ferns to cover the bottom of a tank by tying them to rocks/drift wood and be very patient. They arent the fastest growers but its possible to get something like this (Ferns in the middle):

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you can find one.... Aqueon makes a hood for their ten gallons you can purchase seperately. I have one and I just put 2 13 Watt 6500K CFLs in and my plants are extremely happy right now.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Best light for a ten gallon is hands down a CFL bulb. I have a high-tech 10 gallon and grown everyone from Erio's to swords in there.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
You want 6500K for growing plants. They have the best Photosyntheically Active Radiation (PAR). I have a 24watt 6500k CFL from homedepot and lamp i got for $20 over my 10gal and works great, but a refugium light will probably work even better. . But be warned you probably wont get a carpet of DHG w/o CO2. However I think it would be a great demonstration of fermentation for your class if you do the DIY CO2 setup and put those yeast to work!

If you dont go with any CO2, some easy plants id recomend would be; Java Ferns, hygrophila angustifolia, Bacopa Carolina, Camboba, and Crypts. With the first two plants propbably being the easiest to grow. You can get Java ferns to cover the bottom of a tank by tying them to rocks/drift wood and be very patient. They arent the fastest growers but its possible to get something like this (Ferns in the middle):

Don't forget Anubias! Its a great low-tech or no-tech commonly avialable plant and there are a ton of variations in the family! It can be grown sumberged or emersed (needs a humid environment if grown out of water) and will flower (even when under water). Love this plant super hardy and does great in high ph and hard water (which I have), but can tank any params really ^^ Like java fern its rhizome cannot be buried so attach it to something like wood/rock/decor works well. I have mine all weighed down with glass beads and clear fishing line (bury bead in substrate and let plant sit on top of sand)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
probably cheapest and most versatile light would be to just get a 10gallon incandescent strip light, and stick some daylight CFLs in there

I think something like 2 13 watts is in the upper end of low light, but if you want to go higher tech, you could stick larger bulbs in there ( I think 23 watt CFL are commonly available, and if you poke around, you can probably find even bigger ones.)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

awsesome thanx for the advice guys. as for the co2 im currently doing that on my 55g and actually having good results with it. i currently have 2x24 t5 ho 18k and 2x 6500 i like the growth but wish i could get the more white look i see in all these cool tanks online lol. any suggestions for that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My main tank BTW lol. Trying to identify the middle plant as well as two green guys on either end. They appear to be blooming

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400259184104.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	321202Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400259198278.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	321210

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-18-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
The anubias (last photo, center/right side) you need to pull the rhizome (thick horizontal green part that kind of looks like bamboo which leaves and roots grow out of) out of the substrate! It will rot and kill the plant if buried. You should tie it to some decor or a simple inert weight (like a glass bead) and bury that but not the plant.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Uh oh I'm sorry which is the anubias?

ok so found what u said. got it out of substrate on both of em. the roots are nicely under ground but some showing just to be sure rhizome is out enough. saw the part u mentioned, and found its actually two plants now lol yay?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-18-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your tank looks nice, but if you're a science teacher, you may want to do something with killifish instead of neons and stuff. You could have the tank of killifish and egg hatching containers and the children could watch the eggs develop.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-18-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Inappropriate
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Petsmart has a program that pays for part or most of the costs of setting up a classroom pet habitat, whether small animal or fish tank or whatever. Go in and ask about it.

-

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have cleaned up this thread. Please do not name-call and/or be rude to other people.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post

Dwarf Hair Grass could still grow under low light, but it won't carpet as fast as in a high tech setup.

This website below states that dwarf hair grass could grow under low light:

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...charis-parvula

I can't find the post, but a while ago, Tom Bar stated that he grew Dwarf Hair grass under 1 watt per gallon.

Here's a link below of someone who grew dwarf hair grass on a low tech tank without co2:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
probably cheapest and most versatile light would be to just get a 10gallon incandescent strip light, and stick some daylight CFLs in there

I think something like 2 13 watts is in the upper end of low light, but if you want to go higher tech, you could stick larger bulbs in there ( I think 23 watt CFL are commonly available, and if you poke around, you can probably find even bigger ones.)
2x13 watt CFL bulbs are perfectly fine in a low tech tank with the aqueon incandescent fixture, and without CO2. At the moment, I am using this fixture with 2x15 watt bulbs and I dose API co2 boost about every 3 days, and my plants are growing fine. I was growing my plants with 2x13 watt bulbs, but I recently upgraded to 15 watt bulbs.

Here's a video of my tank:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode