Help with upgrading tank please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Help with upgrading tank please!

Ok so long story short, I am running two 10 gallon tanks at the moment. One has been plagued with black beard algae that came in on a plant I THOUGHT I had scrubbed well enough. I have tried and tried, but can't clear it. The other tank is in pristine condition.

Anyways, today I bought a 20 long and would like to switch everything from the good tank into it, as well as the livestock from the algae tannk. Where I am having trouble is can I reuse the wood from the bad tank if I boil it? I plan on throwing out all of the substrate and plants

Also, as far as filters go, I have a AquaClear 30 on each 10 gallon....should I just use the good one? Or use both? If both do I need to scrub and replace the media from the algae tank? I don't want the algae in the new tank.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

10 Gallon Beach Front Ember Tetra Tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10 Gallon Betta Tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can try killing the algae with something like hydrogen peroxide or excel, or even look up the 'one-two-punch' thread in the algae forum. With NO LIVESTOCK you can use the stronger dose, and I think that would kill the algae. It is also likely to kill the beneficial bacteria if you leave the filter running, but the algae may survive in the filter if you turn it off.
Part of that method includes the concept that you are going to find the reason the algae is thriving and correct that problem. Correct nutrient issues (including CO2), lighting and so on.
------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative:
Get an alternate source of bacteria going, either doing the fishless cycle in a bucket, or in the new tank, then sterilize everything you want to move the best you can so as not to transfer the algae to the new tank. Do not use anything from the contaminated tank to jump start the bacteria.
Once you have a viable colony of bacteria you can move the fish over, then sterilize or throw away the contaminated media.
You can kill algae other things (rocks, driftwood, ceramic merpeople) with any of several methods.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the help!! So maybe what I will do is just use everything from the good tank and let that run for a week or so. Then add livestock from the "bad tank". Then once it is empty, try to kill the algae. Then if it works, maybe I can salvage some plants, if not they were going to be trashed anyways. I would rather just play it safe than sorry. Does this sound like an ok plan?

I hope the one filter and media/plants from the good tank will be enough to seed the new bigger tank. I will add some Safestart to be safe...I hope this goes smoothly!

10 Gallon Betta Tank:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would think it better to work on making conditions better rather than trying to avoid the algae spores, etc. I think they are kind of like the flu germs. They are all around and we might try to avoid them but it is better to keep things in shape so they don't get out of control. It is my feeling that you could have a bare tank with no fish or plants and still have a bad algae problem if the lighting and water conditions are right for it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
No such thing as a bad and a good tank. You're simply lucky at the moment not to have algae in both. If you are doing anything differently between them then maybe you should adopt those procedures on the one with the algae. To get rid of the BBA I would recommend Excel both as a cure and a preventative. It can be hard, especially the 2 to 3 times initial dose, on some fish and plants. Both with time will get used to it but removing them to another tank will help and then introduce them to it more slowly. Do a search to find out which plants/fish are most susceptible. Physically remove as much algae as possible then on the initial dose squirt the Excel directly on the most affected areas/plants (while they are covered in water). The BBA will turn purple then white and be gone in about a week. Read this thread for more info. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20172
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks. I didn't mean one was a "bad tank" really just gave it that name to keep them straight when talking about them. Even if I can rid the algae, I was still planning on combining the two tanks. I would just rather have one bigger tank, than two smaller ones.

The tank with the algae has everything the same, other than substrate and lighting. The algae tank has sand, while the other tank had fluval stratum, and the tank with the algae, actually had less light. I have a fugeray on the "good" tank and a marineland LED on the one with algae. I actually have never dosed either with ferts, and both tanks are about a year old. The "good" tank does have more fast growing plants, maybe that is the difference? The one with algae is all Anubias and Java Ferns.

Unless you think it is a bad idea, I would rather move the livestock over and dose with excel without them in it to be safe. I would hate to loose any of my fish if I plan on breaking down that tank anyways. I would however like to save the anubias if possible.

10 Gallon Betta Tank:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode