Rosy Barbs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rosy Barbs

I have a 6' planted tank with 80 Cherry Barbs and four Rosy Barbs.

Having rid the tank of a slime algae problem by blacking it out for four days I wanted a lawn so planted 125 dwarf chain swords and very nice they looked too. However by the time I had sat down the wretched Rosy Barbs had set about uprooting them.

When I got up this morning there were very few plants still rooted .

Is there anything I can do about this by protecting the plants or is my only option to send the Rosy Barbs back to the shop. If the latter can anyone tell me the best way to remove the fish from a heavily planted tank which also contains two ery large pieces of bogwood please?

Last edited by Buck; 04-20-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
You can take them out at feeding time too. Another person helping with another net is good too. There are other ways with a bottle and string but I have never tried it. I agree 100%, it's a pain to get most fish out of a planted tank without messing it up.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

80 rosy barbs?? 125 dwarf swords?? man you do things in big numbers!

are they actively uprooting the plants, or just knocking them as they forage int he gravel?

I don't know about catching 80 fish, but the old 2L bottle fish trap works well for most small fish. (empty 2L pop bottle, cut off the top, invert and reattach so the spout is now pointing in making a conical entrance to the bottle, affix using tape or string, bait, toss it in the tank and wait).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
I had to remove a few cories the other day.. and I about had a stroke trying to catch them.. I think I would of been better off getting a mouse trap with an algae wafer on it! lol

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
I had to remove a few cories the other day.. and I about had a stroke trying to catch them.. I think I would of been better off getting a mouse trap with an algae wafer on it! lol
you can build a plastic bottle trap.. Just search the forum..
Make sure to poke little holes in the bottle. I kill a few fish from suffocation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I will try both the before lights on method and the feeding time method, probably several times each! I caught two before lights on this morning and put them in a holding tank so its feeding time next.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Planted Member

well...was it only the 4 rosy barbs? because if it was, it should be fairly easy. what i do is i put a clear glass right next to a piece of drift wood or something where the fish will go strait into it without even seeing it...fish cant see the glass, they can only feel it when they run into the end of it...so all you have to do is chase the fish into the glass and cover the opening of the glass with your hand or with a net if you dont want to get wet. i hope this helps

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 AM

PTrader: (-1/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieky22 View Post
well...was it only the 4 rosy barbs? because if it was, it should be fairly easy. what i do is i put a clear glass right next to a piece of drift wood or something where the fish will go strait into it without even seeing it...fish cant see the glass, they can only feel it when they run into the end of it...so all you have to do is chase the fish into the glass and cover the opening of the glass with your hand or with a net if you dont want to get wet. i hope this helps
that is genius
I had to try and catch/net 3 cories from fairly heavily planted tank that isnt well rooted yet and about had a stroke trying to do it without hurting them, not to mention the replanting I had to do when I got finished getting them all out.
There are two left that im putting off moving and I think a large clear shotglass will be perfect for the job!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

I got the final two out by baiting the net with food and instead of being frightened they immediately attacked the net from the back and worked their way round to the food.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode