a 3000 liter dream/challenge after ideas plz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
a 3000 liter dream/challenge after ideas plz

Hi there,
My Dad’s cousin has asked me to set his tank up for him he is converting his 4th bedroom into a tank room and asked me to run it. It will have 3 display tanks that will be seen in 3 different rooms. He is a wealthy man and told me that the budget is virtually unlimited all of the display tanks will be maintained from the tank room and but the display side will be facing different rooms. I will also have the pleasure of maintaining these tanks. Sadly my dream tank just wont be in my house!. But what a fun and awesome challenge.

Tank 1 main tank visible from the kitchen, dining and lounge.
Size: 12ft long x 3ft wide x 2 1/2ft tall (3.65m x .91m x .76m)
Fish: 10-12 adult discus most likely blue turquoise(will grow these in bare bottom tanks in fish room), 50-60 Rummy-nose tetra or tetra of some kind, Cordyus trilineatus or corys, a species of small pleco
Plants: I was thinking swords large and small, Anubias, Java fern…….and?????
Hardscape: Light colored rocks, sand on top of substrate, and redgum roots

Tank 2 in the entrance area
Size: 6ft long x 2 1/2ft wide x 2 1/2ft deep this will be for lace gouramis and a few other species that I will research on.

Tank 3 in his entertaining area (basically a lounge and outdoor eating/bbq area.
Undercided yet!

The reason for this post is to get some ideas and discuss some options, I am not the most experienced and plan to learn as I go over the next 12-18 months with this project that wont start for about six months. My dad and I are still fitting out the fishroom, tiling etc.
After ideas on
Substrate, Plants, Filtration, Lighting etc……
I am so excited!

Regards Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Planted Member

Ah if resouces are unlimited why limit yourself to planted tank, how about a coral reef tank, an african rift tank, and a planted tank.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
i agree it would be cool to have 3 different setups also whats the flooring structure like?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via MSN to sea-horsea
reef tank with that size will require a big sump/refugium plus a spacious area for all the equipments like skimmers and pumps....plus a major problem for large reef tank in fish room is that you have to make sre ventilation is very well designed because of the high wattage lights above it and the gallons of water evaporate from the tank everyday..yes, by gallons everyday......I have a fellow friend with mold problem on the ceiling due to that problem....just my 2 cents

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi there,

salt is out he isnt interested. With regard to the floor it was on stumps so we pulled the floor boards up and boxed it ready, as soon as i work out the plumbing we will order a concrete pumper and will it with concrete then tile the floor (except the tank foot prints)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Wow! What an awesome challenge and great job to have. You will have to post some pics when they are up and running. You will surely have alot of fun!

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks this is my hobby I am a photographer by trade but I have started photographing and recoding my process and planning with word when complete i will either blog it or start a journal
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Make sure to document everything so we can drool!

In that first tank, you could put way more fish than you have listed. I don't know what his or your preferences are, but I would definitely check out wild discus. I think they look much better than man made strains. Even if you get broods that are a generation or two from wild, you can occasionally find a breeder who got two wilds of the same strain to pair up.

Another fish to consider would be altums. Check out Amano's big tank, they look great in there. I'd be more careful of what else I put in there with altums, though. They like to snack on small fish.

Either way, I would definitely increase the number of schooling fish you have. Not because they would be unhappy, but you have the room! And while we're on the limitless budget, how about some rio xingu plecos?

For the other tank, you could do an Asian setup. Roseline barbs, rasboras, etc. They'd look great in a school.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fishcale, tell me where do i find this amano guys site or pics and the stock list was just for starters :-p but I have heard altums are tough?? and wild discus are awesome just did not know if they were here in Australia i will have to look up that pleco also have begun recording and photographing the work we are doing will create a journal when the project is finished :-)

did you mean royal pleco or zebra pleco? either way magnificent and why are they so dear?

Last edited by duzzy; 04-18-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: addind
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I envy you. This is something I would love to do. Altums are easy to keep IMO(Im keeping one, that should prove it lol). I cant wait to see some progress pics.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

How long have you had altums?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
This is my first time and it has been about a month or so now. Completly healthy, dominating the tank, eating regularly, trying to breed with another non altum angel.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
how about some really nice, large bolbitis?

Suspended for 30 days for being terrible to other members
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I like bolbitis and thats great about the altum how big is he? I love them but had heard that they were troublesome
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I am partial to large fish.

My 180 has a jardini arowana as the center piece.. How about a nice planted tank with a sweet Black Arowana?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode