Money Saver Idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
Money Saver Idea

So i use polishing pads in my fluval canister and i was wondering if juts buying some polyfil(the stuff they use in pillows and quilts) and putting it in there instead of paying 4 dollars for 6 polishing pads. Yall think this is an alright idea. I figure i should probably boil the polyfill before i put it in my canister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
might clog faster
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've used polyfill in my filters on and off, it likes to clog up quickly but I suppose that means it's doing its job. No need to boil it you might melt it doing so, be sure not to buy any polyfill with flame retardants or microbial inhibitors though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
boiling it might make it melt dunno though
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
works fine, just don't get the super fluffy stuff, the kind that comes apart easily - make sure you have to rip it apart. The other kind will get in your filter impeller.

I use the white poly fill stuff and sofa sponge (the yellow kind, ripped into smallish cubes.. great surface area)... but the best filter media I've found, by far, are POT SCRUBBIES! 10 for $1 at the dollar store, max bio capacity and they don't compact.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
well there is thi s suff that gos in quilts that i was looking at and it comes in sheets kind of like the fluval polishing pads so i can just cut then out to the size that i need, but the sofa sponge sounds like a really good idae to. The water in my filter runs through a sponge filter to get all the big debries and the it goes through the other media including the polishing pad so i am not sure that a pot scrubbie would work in this case, if that am think of what you are talking about but thanks everyone for the input i am going to try a few of the ideas and let yall know how they work
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I suggest against yellow upholstery foam, if that's what you mean by sofa sponge. It's unsafe for optics, due to outgassing, I certainly wouldn't want it in contact with aquarium water.

Polyester filling or quilt batting is alright to use and I use both sorts. Quilt batting can be cut to shape quite easily, whereas the filling is nice to stuff in the filter afterwards as even finer filtration.

It is important to make sure you do not purchase "flame retardant" filling, it'll be prominently labeled as such. A warning about it being horrifically flammable is a plus.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
It is important to make sure you do not purchase "flame retardant" filling, it'll be prominently labeled as such. A warning about it being horrifically flammable is a plus.
Is this stuff even legally sold anymore? I understand that if it is for pillows it will always be fire retardant.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
There was a ridiculous "discussion" a couple months ago about that. Craft polyester fill isn't necessarily flame retardant and doesn't need to be under any law, it's not specifically "pillow stuffing" whereas the stuffing in purchased pillows will very likely contain the flame retardant stuff. I can't say I've ever seen anything specifically labeled as "pillow stuffing" anywhere for consumer purchase either.

FWIW, I use the Walmart brand "Morning Glory" in the light green package for my polyfil needs. I also use the Walmart brand quilt batting. I haven't ever noticed any ill-effect.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
I guess I worded it wrong.What I bought was "polyester fiberfill for dolls,stuffed toys,pillows,and crafts".I bought it at Wal Mart and that is what it says on the bag.The brand is Fairfield,made on Danbury Ct.

I already used it with no problems,however i am reluctant to use it now.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to eden_angelfish
Since quilting is another hobby of mine, I've always got tons of the stuff around. I have tried a lot of different kinds, and use it regularly as a filter media. I really like it a lot. I'm using just a simple whisper hanging on the back style filter with it. Instead of the carbon filled cartridges you are supposed to buy for them, I have the water flowing first through either quilt batting or a plain old dollar store sponge (like you'd use for dishes or washing the car) and then the rest of the chamber is packed with bioballs. It works wonderfully for me. I don't do anything to prepare the batting, just take it out of the bag and shove it in there. When it gets full of junk, I throw it away and replace it. (no need to worry about losing my bacteria as there's plenty more where that came from in the bioballs)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
FWIW, I use the Walmart brand "Morning Glory" in the light green package for my polyfil needs. I also use the Walmart brand quilt batting. I haven't ever noticed any ill-effect.
x2...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode