What the heck are these worms?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)
ok.. I've been keeping fish for a long time but I have never come across these before.. what are these worms? They are a little over an inch long.. some reaching almost 2"!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Aren't those tubifex worms?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have those in the tanks too, don't know what kind of worm. They usually don't come out like yours do. I only find them when I pull out my plants. My rams hunt for them in the gravel.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This look like it? It's an aquatic worm, harmless, and mean you probably have good water quality. If this is in the eel tank, I don't think they are long for this world whatever they are.

Gareth- blue gravel?? This is not your tank, right?

James
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
They look kinda like blackworms to me.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

LOL.. this is my QT tank.. otherwise known as my goldfish prison. Don't tell anyone or the goldfish advocates might come to knock my door down.

These worms don't usually come out.. but when I come home from work yesterday all these worms were poking out of the gravel reaching for the light.. it was pretty disturbing!

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm telling.

you must have pretty useless goldfish to let anything that big live in the gravel.

Can we have a closer closeup? Maybe they're insect larvae--most come out of the water to pupate so it would explain their sudden change of habit. Show us the mouthparts!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I tried getting a closer shot but I haven't mastered the art of focusing yet :-) Wait till I get a REAL macro lense ;-)

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
Wait till I get a REAL macro lense ;-)
That's what I said 'til I saw what they ran for. I'll definitely be waiting to get a macro lens. Now macro rings, they might be doable...

James
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

The lenses arent too bad up here.. I don't mind sinking $150 into teh lense for the amount of use I would get from it.... I use my camera for macro shots every day so it would be a worthwhile purchase

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Actually the shot you have is really pretty nice! I especially like how they are all posing and waving hi. But I think you need to get a dissecting scope with camera attachment instead of new lenses. THAT would be perfect!

Did you catch any? If they are insects, plop some in a jar half full of water and see what emerges. They look like flies! Well, ok, they look like worms.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I don't think these a larval stage for anything.. I'm pretty sure they are worms. i've had them in the tank for months, but last night was the first time that they posed like that for me!

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:47 PM

I believe Urkevitz is correct; they look like tubifex worms. In a soft-sediment bed they would build little protruding tubes. Corys love them!

They are definitely not larvae. You can clearly see the segmentation, so they are in phylum Annelida. BTW, tubifex worms are believed to be vectors for some fish diseases, so you might not want to be raising them or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
I don't think these a larval stage for anything.. I'm pretty sure they are worms. i've had them in the tank for months, but last night was the first time that they posed like that for me!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

where do those nasty little worms come from??
Hopefully not out of the tap water .
Are they parasites in the fish?
mouse
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

they also look like black/brown worms to me. i grow these aquatic worms. to feed to my fish. did you bring home some new fish? they might have came from the pet store. your petstore probably feeds these things to there fish. it only takes a small peice for them to start growing. they are probably my favorite food to feed killies, rainbows and corries to get them to spawn. about a 1 USD a oz for these things live at pet stores

they normally have there butts out in the air like that when they are serching for food in the tank. the part waving in the water isnt the're heads it more like there a$$. which have photo sensitive cells that warn them when lights change which usually tells them that a predator is nerby. then they dart back into the gravel

you should fish them out and start culturing them. some of the best foods to get fish to spawn. but dont give them to african ciclids since it somtimes makes them sick.

i dont think its a tubifex since it looks too thick and tubifix are hard to grow to a full inch. and it looks like the bottom of the tank. tubifix normally grow on the top water line of the tank.

125 ga. Pressured co2. T5ho

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode