Moving tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving tank

Im slowly getting closer to setting up my 75gal. I have to move my 20 to make room. I will be removing as much water as I can to move it but leaving some in tank for the fish. My question is should I keep any of the "old" water for refilling or will fresh water be fine.

I see a lot of people do 50% water changes but Ill be taking at least 75% out to move. So Im worried it would need cycled again with so much new water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since most bacteria do not float free but hang on surfaces, the water has little effect on the cycle. It does involve the PH/GH/KH and temperature if you do anything to adjust those.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Not to worry! The VAST majority of nitrifying bacteria live in the substrate, in the filter media, and on plants and hardscape. As long as the water parameters of the new water match the old pretty closely everything will be just fine. Keep some water if you want to, but it is by no means critical.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The water has nothing to do with the cycle - all your bacteria is on the plants, substrate, decor, and filter media.

If your tank water parameters are close to your source water parameters, you should be able to do 75% with no issue.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.
I know that the bacteria was in the media etc. I was worried as to how fast they balance things out again with so much water being removed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What do you mean 'balance out'?

The bacteria do not mind water changes.

I have done something close to 100% water changes (oops! poor fish were flopping in the low spots in the tank) and there was not even a blip in the nitrogen levels.

I more commonly do 50% water changes with never a problem.

I have moved tanks the way you want to, draining 75% of the water and refilling with new water. Not a problem.

All the posts above are right: There is very little nitrifying bacteria in the water. Do as large a water change as you need to, as long as the GH, KH, TDS, pH are the same.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well its been 24 hrs since move and everyboby is livley and doing well.
Thanks for calming my fears.

Did have a minor setback on new setup. After moveing the 20 gal started to get 75 in place i relized that one of the doors on the stand was ready to fall off. Took it back tonight and they ordered me another one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It didn't get mentioned until now which is too late but there might be a reason for the idea of old water being important. Not correct but the guy who moves a tank and willy -nilly fills it without much concern is often the guy who also totally cleans his filter and kills all the bacteria in both the tank and filter. Since he doesn't know much about the cycle and bacteria, he may decide it was the new water. WRONG!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode