Any good stores near Sac? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
yv1

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey everyone,

I am moving from San Francisco to Rescue, CA...near Sacramento. Anyone know of a good fish/plants store around that area?? I hate to give up Ocean Aquarium, and Albany Aquarium :/ but the move must be made. Any info is greatly appreciated...thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:21 AM
Planted Member

Well I commute to Sac everynow and then from my home in Baypoint which is 90 miles away, just to go to Capitol Aquarium. It is amazing, they have some really rare and beautiful Freshwater fish. It is very much like Ocean for fish. Plants seem to be about average. I dont know of any other stores in Sac that carry good fresh, but Exotic Aquarium has some great reef supplies. Well hth.

29 Gallon Standard Moderate Light Planted tank
Lighting: 2x27 Watt 6500k P.C. Lights of America Outdoor Fixtures. 2x 20 Watt N.O. Flor. w/ Sylvania Gro Bulbs (9350k I think). Both are retrofited into a diy 12" tall canopy, with a 4" Diameter Clip on fan facing the opening in the back to circulate the excessive heat from the lighting.
Filtration: Tetra Tech 150 (modified to make very little disturbance.
Aquarium Systems Mini-jet for more circulation.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 03:37 AM

Hello yv1

In addition to the ones mentioned by plantastic I also like O-Street Aquarium. It's sort of like a "Mom and Pop" store. They have some decent plants and a good selection of Cichlids. Also some really nice SW tanks to look at. It's also right near Capitol Aquarium which definitely has the best selection with respect to Fish.

Welcome to the area.

TD

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Well, having spent my college days in Davis and working at one of the aforementioned fish stores, here's my take on those three....

Capitol Aquarium. Decent selection of fish especially if you want to shell out the money for them. The salt water selection isn't too great and that goes for the quality of them. Definitely worth a trip just to take a look at that 1,000 gallon tank.

O. Street Aquarium. The owners (Jack and Peggy) are very nice, and once they know you, even the prices are negotiable . Not sure if Shane works there now, but if he still does, I'd avoid him anyways, lol. The other employees there are pretty knowledgeable overall, as long as you're not probing them too deeply. Talk to Dennis if he's around and not too busy.

Exotic Aquarium. Another family owned shop, but in this case a couple of brothers (Nelson and Dickson). Of the three, I would recommend this over the other two. The selection of fish/corals/inverts are better than the other two and if they don't have it, you can get them to order for you pretty easily. If you're interested in saltwater, talk to Brian there, but if he's not there, talk to either of the brothers. For freshwater, talk to Mike there. He's basically the African cichlid there, but he knows a bit more than the others as far as freshwater is concerned. He gets his African cichlids from a local breeder and is also a member of the ACA himself. Check out the 300-gallon fish only tank as well as the two 240-gallon reef tanks.

Aqualife. Not actually in Sacramento, but further north in/by Roseville. Nice selection of saltwater if you're interested in that. Prices are a slightly above Exotic, but you find some decent deals there once in awhile. If for nothing, go check out their 1,000 gallon tank w/the white tip sharks and 3 foot plus green moray!!!

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully that was helpful. There's quite a bit more I can tell you about them. Just let me know if you want more info .

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
yv1

wow thanks everyone for the info ill be sure to check all the stores out once i am settled in.

and i will definitely make the trip to see a 1000 gallon tank...sounds wicked.

do any of these stores take fish donations?? i have to make room for my baby killies...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yes they will gladly take donations/trade-ins (great for picking up additional fish food) if they're in good shape.

As for 1,000 gallons, there's two of them that I know of in the area...Aqualife in Roseville and Capitol Aquarium in downtown Sacto. The one in downtown is a bit more interesting as there's more fauna in it (clown loaches, large SA cichlids, etc.), but you gotta check out those white-tips during feeding time :twisted: .

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode