Can I use API Stress Coat Plus as a "medication"/anti stress - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I use API Stress Coat Plus as a "medication"/anti stress

Hey guys.
My old dechlorinator is almost out, so I bought some API Stress Coat Plus. As you may or may not know, this product has aloevera that claims to help heal ripped fins and reduce fish stress. So, could I put this stuff in my 20 gallon planted tank when I am adding new fish but not doing a water change? Can I add this stuff when my fish have minor ripped fins and I do not need to do a water change?
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why would you not do a water change?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Algae Grower

I've added it before without a water change with no problem. I'm not convinced it does anything though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It is a dechlorinator and nothing else. You can add it for any reason you want, but it only does one thing.

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko View Post
I've added it before without a water change with no problem. I'm not convinced it does anything though.

I have done the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, you can add it even without a water change, but I have had better results with a water change.
To reduce stress during a water change do a more complex water change that involves filling the tank as you are draining it. I have done some pretty big water changes that way, and the fish just keep on swimming around, never hiding.

Prep at least 2 tankfuls of water in a garbage can and start siphoning out of the tank. When the water level drops just an inch or two start pumping from the garbage can.
Keep the inlet from the garbage can high up in the tank, and aim it horizontally.
Siphon from the bottom, vacuuming the substrate and among the plants the best you can.
Ultimately the new water and the old do get mixed, so you are removing some of the old and some of the new, and I understand the math shows that this method results in only about half the water change compared to a drain first then refill method. Still, by vacuuming as close to the floor of the tank as you can you are removing more debris than if you were just letting the siphon hang over the edge, so hopefully removing whatever is contributing to the stress of the fish.

Doing water tests before and after has shown me that (within the accuracy of the tests) I can get something close to 75% water change when I use about 2 tanks worth of new water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode