tetra not schooling/shoaling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
tetra not schooling/shoaling

hi every one...

any ideas on how to get my tetras schooling/shoaling again....

iv been told my tank is to calm,,,

tank 55g heavy planted on 1 side

tetras...10 silver tip...10 head n tail...neons...

they all shoaled/schooled when first put in tank....

iv tried a few suggestions but nothing has wrked yet...

dont want to put aggresive fish into tank to stress them into shoaling...(unless i have to )

thanks

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm not sure about the Silver Tips, but in my experience Head and Tailights and Neons aren't good schooling fish to begin with. They may school in the beginning, but they get very loose and aren't the best later on.

You could try a larger fish, like a Pearl Gourami or maybe a Keyhole Cichlid (something kinda big, but not big enough to eat the Neons) to kind of encourage them. It's not guaranteed IMO though, since you don't have good schoolers to begin with. Another option would be to choose 2 schools, double them and then get a larger fish like a Gourami or Keyhole Cichlid. That may work as well.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 PM

dont put aggresive fish into the tank
just chk out the ph ,nitrate level & hardness also
for tetras u have to maintain a low ph & nitratew level & hardness
i think this caused for high ph
dont worry every thing will be alright

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore21 View Post
I'm not sure about the Silver Tips, but in my experience Head and Tailights and Neons aren't good schooling fish to begin with. They may school in the beginning, but they get very loose and aren't the best later on.

You could try a larger fish, like a Pearl Gourami or maybe a Keyhole Cichlid (something kinda big, but not big enough to eat the Neons) to kind of encourage them. It's not guaranteed IMO though, since you don't have good schoolers to begin with. Another option would be to choose 2 schools, double them and then get a larger fish like a Gourami or Keyhole Cichlid. That may work as well.

thanks ....was advised about Gouramis and i have 2 already + 2 large silver sharks...these didn't wrk lol...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMEEK View Post
dont put aggresive fish into the tank
just chk out the ph ,nitrate level & hardness also
for tetras u have to maintain a low ph & nitratew level & hardness
i think this caused for high ph
dont worry every thing will be alright

not sure if lower ph will help?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
For tetras I agree that it's preferrable to have soft water with a low ph & nitrate level, but that alone is not giong to make everything alright in terms of schooling. A larger fish may help initially, but I think that once the tetras figure out there's no danger they'll stop schooling. Another alternative would be to add a powerhead to increase water circulation (although this might be difficult if the tank is heavily planted and you want to be sure not to have it disturb the water surface too much or else it drives off the CO2). I know my rainbowfish love swimming in the current of the powerhead. I'm not sure it would work for tetras but I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Well, consider it a good sign. If they are not schooling, they are certainly not stressed. Your water parameters will not affect schooling.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Algae Grower

I've noticed my tetras school better if there are nice shady/planted zones at the sides and a big scarrrry open space in the middle of the tank. The swim back and forth to the shady zones and always school when doing so.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambasted View Post
I've noticed my tetras school better if there are nice shady/planted zones at the sides and a big scarrrry open space in the middle of the tank. The swim back and forth to the shady zones and always school when doing so.
^^This is the reason.

They feel safe, so they don't congregate. If the tank was bare, and provided no cover for them, they would school all the time, the way they do in the pet stores.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
^ agreed. I have Silver Tips and Danios. They're never together unless the males are showing off for the females.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambasted View Post
This is also perhaps why those Iwagumi-style tanks, with just rocks and short grass, look so good; the schooling fish add moving color to the simple landscape.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

thank you all for you comments...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode