Plant suggestions for my setup please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all, For my dorm room I'm going to have 2 20 gallon tall acrylic tanks with black backs.

For lighting, I'm going to have a custom sealife smartlite 2 x 65watt 6500K over it so essentially each tank will be getting a 65 watt bulb right over it...

For co2, I will be using diy co2....each tank gets a 2.84 Liter juice bottle, one has a hagen ladder, the other has a wood airstone that produces extra fine bubbles...

one tank has 100% eco-complete, the other tank has 50/50 flourite/natural gravel mix.....

my question is can you think of any plants that won't survive in this tank?

some plants that I'm considering using are:

glossostigma
dwarf hairgrass
e. tenellus
java fern windelov
anubias nana
stargrass
pearlweed
riccia
baby tears
didiplis diandra
etc... thank you for your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 PM

dwarf hairgrass
e. tenellus
java fern windelov
anubias nana

All of these are great choices for a 20 gallon tall. I don't have much experience with the others.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you digger, i will definitely include these for now then...

I'm hoping that more people will respond to let me know whether or not i could use the other plants in my scape..

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 05:48 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
I'm hoping that more people will respond to let me know whether or not i could use the other plants in my scape..
Oh why bother, you're just gonna kill them all anyways... :lol: Just kidding dude, you know you're my first pal on this forum.

Seriously, you've read all the stuff that gets posted here, what part of your plan do you think isn't gonna work? When you answer that question you'll know which plants could or might not survive, and I'm not saying that there are any in the latter group. Take it a step further, what plants have you had luck with in the past and which ones haven't done so well for you? Did you figure out why things fell into each catagory?

I could tell you that Didiplis Diandra is a great plant and turns really red for me, so you buy it and it turns out that your water is a little different from mine and it all craps out in a couple days. What good was my opinion then? But, here it comes anyways.

You generally picked out plants that are very easy for me to grow, except for that 'etc...' plant....it never lasts. So how will they do for you? :?:

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
Oh why bother, you're just gonna kill them all anyways... :lol: Just kidding dude, you know you're my first pal on this forum.

Seriously, you've read all the stuff that gets posted here, what part of your plan do you think isn't gonna work? When you answer that question you'll know which plants could or might not survive, and I'm not saying that there are any in the latter group. Take it a step further, what plants have you had luck with in the past and which ones haven't done so well for you? Did you figure out why things fell into each catagory?

I could tell you that Didiplis Diandra is a great plant and turns really red for me, so you buy it and it turns out that your water is a little different from mine and it all craps out in a couple days. What good was my opinion then? But, here it comes anyways.

You generally picked out plants that are very easy for me to grow, except for that 'etc...' plant....it never lasts. So how will they do for you? :?:
Sean Sean Sean, you know me all too well. the truth is: I'm worried about glosso because i've had it grown with 55 watts over a 20 long, but a 20 high is higher, so i'm worried bout that, plus the fact that gulfcoastaquarian didn't have luck with it with the same setup i'm about to use... so I'm kind of hoping that i could get new insight on it (like maybe it needed more co2 and the light is in fact enough....?

I'm also worried about stargrass, I have no experience with that plant.

I'm currently having rotala rotundifolia stems rot on me if it gets too dense with 2x65 w coralife fixture over a 55 gallon..... so that makes me wonder if it's lighting also...

i've also had healthy submersed pearlweed rot on me and i have no idea why it did that....a good buddy of mine gave me that plant....how embarrassing....!

everything else in my plant list has been growing great for me, including etc.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
No....tell me it isn't so....not the stuff that I gave to ya...

LOL, j/k

All those plants should do reasonably well, even with the glosso depending on how you're setting the tanks up. Also, out of curiosity, why tall tanks?

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi ERic, long time no see bro! The Sag and riccia you gave me are fine
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 03:23 AM

go to petsolutions.com have great 20gal packages..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 05:49 AM
2la

These kinds of questions always strike me as kind of odd. It's like asking, "What colors and brushes should I use in this painting?" Well, doesn't it all depend on what kind of scene you're trying to paint? Food for thought...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:50 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your in college. Time for learning. Time for fun. Get easy to grow plants.
" Sorry!, can't go the party Dude. Gotta trim my glosso."

Add the more fashionable ones as your time schedule allows. Feel it out first.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:07 PM

got another great plant for you. Called limnophila aromatica (looks like stellata only it grow really compact and has a bushing habit without trimming)

Love this plant and it looks fantastic in my tank, and it would in yours.

Paul
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I basically just need to know if i got enough lighting to grow most plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode