37gal Ram tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
37gal Ram tank

i have a 37 gallon planted tank that when it is cycled will be a nice ram tank. i want one pair of gbr and one pair of ebr. i had one ebr but because of a ph spike it died. right now i have 2 small angels, 4 rosy tetras, 4 celebies rainbows, 1 clown pleco, 1 molly (lived his whole life in freshwater and is doing great), 1 platy, and 3 female bettas. i have a aqua clear 70 and a sand filter on it and a full spectrum light. i have checked my levels and everything is looking great... but i am having a really bad Algae bloom. at first lit looked like a bacteria bloom so i added some clarifier. that did nothing, so i did a 35% water change and after that it turned green. i did a 4 day blackout and it looked like it had gotten better for a day and than it came back with a vengeance. so i tried the algaecide and that made it worse, so Monday i did a 50% water change and started another blackout that i wont stop until the algae is dead. i did find out what caused the bloom though, the room it is in gets a lot of indirect sunlight. ive read up on daphnia and think im going to try to ad them in a breeding box and hope they can eat it up. im just so frustrated because its been almost 4 weeks now and i want it gone. i would also like to add new fish but not sure if thats a good idea. if i could i would do a 100% water change and hope that would do it but i know that it wont do much good. any and all help would be appreciated.

its not a life worth living without living with fish
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
If the water is green, the easiest way to get rid of it us a UV sterilizer. They are good thing to keep handy too in case you need to run it for other things. They work wonder on green water.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, if your wallet permits, get a UV sterilizer - it'll clear it up completely in a couple of days -like magic. Then you'll want to work on getting more balanced tank conditions to prevent it recurring.
Your light intensity & lighting period may have a lot to do with it. Start with that.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wish i could but my wallet would not be happy if i got one. i had looked into it but its out of my price range.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps someone in your city who has one would be willing to lend you theirs for a couple of days.
I've loaned mine twice to get rid of green water ('cause they asked nicely).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i just talked to my mom and she is going to buy me one because i bought dinner the other night. lets hope this works

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Good for you. Thanks, Mom !
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
You will have to get her something extra special for mothers day then!

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update, just got the UV yesterday and placed it in my tank, its running nicely and i might have seen some improvement already, later tonight we are going to my lfs to pick up some new fish, i hope they still have some electric blue rams and some colorful swords, ive been keeping up on checking my parameters and everything is looking great, ill update tonight or later tomorrow because i work at 5am tomorrow morning.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
If the water is green, the easiest way to get rid of it us a UV sterilizer. They are good thing to keep handy too in case you need to run it for other things. They work wonder on green water.
the easiest, and cheapest, way to get rid of green water is turning your lights off for a few days and covering the tank with a blanket.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i did a full black-out for a week, took off the blanket, did a 50% water change and next day the algae was back

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid's fish View Post
i did a full black-out for a week, took off the blanket, did a 50% water change and next day the algae was back
then you also need to fix whatever the issue is.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how, after it got cloudy i stopped dosing my tank with plant fertilizer, ive done SEVERAL water changes, two different black-outs with an algicide treatment in between, what else could i do besides an uv sterilizer?
i dont mean to be rude but its ether the uv or a diatom filter and the uv was cheaper

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
You haven't mentioned your lights and photoperiod yet. What do you run and for how long?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i havent had my light on for a week and a half now, before and i hope after the bloom im going to do an eight to ten hour photoperiod and i have the full spectrum aqueon light, im hoping to switch to leds at a later date

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode