can you have too much filtration? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
can you have too much filtration?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I have too much filtration?

I have a 20gal rated filter that I don't really like, and I bought a 30gal rated filter that I really do like. While putting together the 30gal filter I thought to myself, why get rid of the 20gal filter? why not just save it for those times the water gets murky/cloudy?

so is there any problem with have a combined filtration system of 50gal for a 10gal tank?

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
While I personally don't think you can have too much filtration,,you can easily have too much current or flow which some fishes don't appreciate and which can make keeping plant's rooted difficult.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Algae Grower

In my opinion you can never have to much filtration, the only thing that you can have is too much flow for the size of the tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
all it becomes is a cleaning requirement its not harmful. based on bioload, each tank needs X amnt of active surface area for oxidation to occur, and the practice has always been to vastly exceed that amnt in both marine and fresh w tanks. keep nine canister filters if you like and can deal w the current.

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Planted Member

Tbh most 20g filters are more suited to a 10g anyway. I always try to take my tank size, multiply it by 9, and thats how many gallons per hour my filter needs to pump
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The filters I have combined on my 46 gallon is rated for a 239 gallon tank. I always over filter my tanks and keep in mind the manufactures like to over exaggerate what their filter can do. To keep to flow down a little I use spray bars.

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:

-Mandy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Bacteria in filters convert ammonia to nitrate, and convert other organics to their oxidized forms. That's biological filtration. Filters also clean particulate matter out of the water column. That's mechanical filtration. I don't see how you could have 'too much' of either of these processes.

You CAN have too much current. Fish can only swim so fast!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I don't think you can have too much filtration. The thing is the amount of bacterial you have will be mainly depends on the amount of food source for them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I run a filter for a 70 gallon tank on my 17 gallon tank. It works great.

•
•
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, so I don't have fish, just snails, and depending on where they are in the tank sometimes the snails do tilter back n forth a bit. Hopefully they're not too stressed by it.

I did set the two filters 90deg to each other, and I mounted what looks like a "diving" board on the exit port (it's an HOB) of the water to break-up it's flow.

One question I have is if the parts of the filter that is not the mechanical/particulate component could be using up (taking away from the plants) my ferts that I dose?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

not to any degree you can measure or our test kits would indicate, go ahead and start it up its sounding ready to go.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode