What am I doing wrong?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What am I doing wrong??

Okay so this is my first planted tank and after seeing tons of beautiful pictures and videos I wanted to try my own. So far I have succeeded in growing squat. Is it my lighting? Is it a co2 issue? I'm on a budget and I'm trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. I was planning on buying a pressurized co2 system but I'm not sure if that's my biggest problem...

I have:
-75 gallon tank
- fluorite substrate 3 inches deep (I also poured black sand on top of that for looks but am not sure if that matters much)
-Aqueon t5 Dual Lamp fixture (48 inches) came with 6700K daylight bulb and Colormax bulb
-Marineland 36 inch LED light bar (came with the tank)

And I have been using Flourish Excel for about a week and haven't noticed a difference and from my novice eye I haven't even seen any algae...........

I'm about the point of getting frustrated..... someone help me lol

Thank you, Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
What plants are you trying to grow?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
What plants are you trying to grow?
Right now I am trying to grow amazon swords, java fern, and Dwarf hair grass, which are the plants I managed to find at petsmart. Eventually I would love to grow dwarf baby tears but from what I've read co2 is mandatory for that.

Edit: I tried doing DIY co2 and bought a beautiful spiral glass diffuser however I don't think the setup I had generated enough pressure to actually push the co2 through my diffuser

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How many watts is the fixture? Seems you may need to do 2x of the 6500k and ditch the color max. One 6500k is pretty low. I doubt the LED bar does much of anything for the plants. Also, DHG is pretty tough to grow w/o CO2. The java fern should grow, but its a slower grower then the swords.

Also fertz? are you doing some comprehensive and K+?

And you have any pictures? Are they yellow? holes in them? Any kind of deficiencys?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
How many watts is the fixture? Seems you may need to do 2x of the 6500k and ditch the color max. One 6500k is pretty low. I doubt the LED bar does much of anything for the plants. Also, DHG is pretty tough to grow w/o CO2. The java fern should grow, but its a slower grower then the swords.

Also fertz? are you doing some comprehensive and K+?

And you have any pictures? Are they yellow? holes in them? Any kind of deficiencys?
I'm working on pictures but I'm just as awful with computers as I am growing plants apparently. the lights are 2- 28 watts. Would just adding the one 6500K be enough? And my plants turn yellow and get holes.
All I've added is the flourish excel.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

well definately going to need some fertz. SOme good starters are Flourish Comperehensive and potassium. Look in the "water parameters/fertizer" thread sticky for more types of dosing regimes. Yellow leaves and holes are usually caused by low potassium and/or low nitrates.

Also 1 28 watt 6500k bulb over 75 gallons is not near enough light. I would expect your javas to grow decent on 2 of them and maybe your swords. But cant be positive
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pics v.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	317522  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	317530  

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	317538  

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	317546  

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll add a bulb and give those fertz a try. Thank you!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So your Javas are doing ok. Make sure you unbury them, those are rhizomes and not roots. You can tie them with thread to a log or rock, but need to have access to the water column.

Im not as experienced with swords, but they really seem to like CO2 injection but could possibly get by with fertz, more light, higher dose of excel and mebbe some N,P,K tabs (search osmocote + on this forum easy to make or purchase). I would say 4-5 cap ful of excel daily (gradually increasing) as well and you should be able to get them growing. Someone else may have more experience and have a better idea.

Id recommend plants like Crypts, Bacopa, Camboba, hygrophila angustifolia, and other "low tech" plants (see low tech forum)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
So your Javas are doing ok. Make sure you unbury them, those are rhizomes and not roots. You can tie them with thread to a log or rock, but need to have access to the water column.

Im not as experienced with swords, but they really seem to like CO2 injection but could possibly get by with fertz, more light, higher dose of excel and mebbe some N,P,K tabs (search osmocote + on this forum easy to make or purchase). I would say 4-5 cap ful of excel daily (gradually increasing) as well and you should be able to get them growing. Someone else may have more experience and have a better idea.

Id recommend plants like Crypts, Bacopa, Camboba, hygrophila angustifolia, and other "low tech" plants (see low tech forum)
The Java in pic 2 should be tied off and not buried under sediment? I did not know that! and I will give those things a try. Thank you very much!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb4life2 View Post
The Java in pic 2 should be tied off and not buried under sediment? I did not know that! and I will give those things a try. Thank you very much!!!
No problem. Also those little plant-lets growing on the ends of the leaves are new ferns. You can remove them and tie them down as well. they will make new ferns
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
No problem. Also those little plant-lets growing on the ends of the leaves are new ferns. You can remove them and tie them down as well. they will make new ferns
Hell yea! Free plants lol
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
This is almost certainly a lack of lighting (or possibly plants recently added and damaged during shipping). Look at the number of dead sword plant leaves. Compare that to the health of the low light tolerant plants like java and anubias.

Speaking of anubias, what happened to the skeletonized anubias plant? Do you have a pleco in the tank or something else that eats plants?

For a 75g tank I'd recommend you put at least 110 watts of power compact or T5 HO on it to reach medium lighting conditions.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
This is almost certainly a lack of lighting (or possibly plants recently added and damaged during shipping). Look at the number of dead sword plant leaves. Compare that to the health of the low light tolerant plants like java and anubias.

Speaking of anubias, what happened to the skeletonized anubias plant? Do you have a pleco in the tank or something else that eats plants?

For a 75g tank I'd recommend you put at least 110 watts of power compact or T5 HO on it to reach medium lighting conditions.
The dead swords are the latest batch of dead ones. I already trimmed the first dead swords that after I planted and gave it a few days. I have new leaves forming that are bright green but start to fade after a while.

I have a pleco, a small black one with gold dots however it usually hides under my drift wood and I've never actually seen it go near the plants. I have 2 angel fish which I think might nibble but from what I've seen with the other leaves (prior to trimming) they just slowly got yellow, then got holes and the holes spread until current state.

As for lights my plan was to swap out that color bulb for another 6500k, and eventually add 2 dual 24inch lights. One on each side of my tank.

Last edited by Pb4life2; 05-09-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Plecos are mostly nocturnal so you wouldn't see it damaging the plants unless you turned the lights on half way through the night and caught it in the act.

So to clarify what you said. The swords in the photo above are newly added and the leaves died shortly after adding them to the tank?

A second problem exists where the swords put out new leaves and these very newest leaves turn yellow and die?

Can you get a close up photo of the new yellow sword leaves? It makes a difference if the leaves are new or are older leaves.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode