Grrr $%&*@ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
So I come home last night from work and I can hear alot of water noise out of my fish tank. Wander upstairs to my tank and CRAPOLA.. the water level is down about 8-10" this is a 75g tank so thats about 15 gallons of water.. yes you guessed it in the stand and rug etc. Looking around I think I disturbed one of the connectors (may have not been tight enough too) on my inline heater causing it to leak. It was a major bummer but am glad it only wasn't worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ahh, that blows, man. :evil:

Sure, the connection must not have been tight enough. I found the hydor connections to work really well.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think the Fluval hose is metric sized and the Hydor is 'standard' it should be close enough but I had some troubles getting the hose ends to seat down inside the nuts like it does on the fluval nuts. It would tend to push the tube off instead of clamping the tubing.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:07 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Adjustable hose clamps are kinda inexpensive at Home Depot. Worth not having water on the floor.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mini,

I think I know what happened, as I also have a hydor.

When you screw that connector over top the tubing, it has a tendency to push the tubing back, rather than squish over the outside. What you need to do is push that tubing very forcefully while you are screwing the connector. This will ensure that it is not pushed back. Or, as Sean states, don't use those screw connectors at all. Just push the tubing all the way on and secure a hose clamp around it. If you do decide to go this route, I recommend plastic clamps over the metal ones.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Another good tool I found that seems to work well.. Get one of those Zip Tie guns and some of the larger zip ties, they will clamp pretty hard on something like vynil tubing, especially with the hydor barbs, they only have one lip on the barb. I am going to re-work all my plumbing one I get my external C02 completed and might even try to do some hard plumbing for the elbows and stuff. I can't seem to make the bends I need to keep the plumbing neat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini4x
Another good tool I found that seems to work well.. Get one of those Zip Tie guns and some of the larger zip ties, they will clamp pretty hard on something like vynil tubing, especially with the hydor barbs, they only have one lip on the barb. I am going to re-work all my plumbing one I get my external C02 completed and might even try to do some hard plumbing for the elbows and stuff. I can't seem to make the bends I need to keep the plumbing neat.
To clean up my plumbing I recently bought a few packs of these. For me they made life much easier. Bends are short and neat and they do seem to grip tubing very well, without the need for extra hose clamps.

However, after your experience with the Hydor locking system, you might be weary of trying out that product.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode