interesting competition idea - the 2ft planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My friend came up with an interesting competition idea and i' thought I'd run it by you guys...

The 2ft planted Tank Contest

Each contestant must use a standard 2ft tank, and any number of light tubes and manner of fertilisation.

The aim of this contest is on maximising composition and health of plants, and not necessarily on who has the biggest wallet!

The restrictions of the competition is only to use a few readily available species of plants, for example 1. hair grass 2. hygrophila sp. 3. vallisneria sp. 4. wild card plant of choice.

The contest will be run over 6 months, and each contestant will take photos at 1 month intervals to show progress of tanks.

The final result will be a webpage of tanks with progression 'journals' of each tank.

The winners will be judged on their aquascaping, composition, plant growth and health, fish selection.

just an interesting idea :P[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I'm interested. I'm setting up a 20 High in about Mid april.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM

I suppose this friend has been reading this then:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...opic.php?t=335

Not impressed.

Carlos

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Not impressed.
Too bad Carlos. People can set up the exact same contest as you are planning and you couldn't do a thing about it.

As for the idea, I think it's way too restrictive to get people to enter. To dictate what size tank and what plants can be used is too difficult. I like the idea because it really creates a pretty even playing field, however I don't think it will happen.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like a neat idea. A lot of the tanks I have seen online that I really like use only a handful of different plants. You can combine a clean, minimalist design and still have a lush, full aquarium. I really love Jeff Senske's work and some of my favorites that he's done are set up like this.

Tony
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Too bad Carlos. People can set up the exact same contest as you are planning and you couldn't do a thing about it.
Of course, they can. But instead of diluting the pool of entrants into contests even further, why not support and enter the one we are planning now?

Carlos
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Carlo...
Quote:
tsunami wrote:

Not impressed.
not very nice! I wasn't stealing or hijacking anyones competition, i have never even seen that thread before. I was just building and discussing and interesting proposition my friend had okay?

your attitude - Not impressed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:31 AM

Um, hello? I think you are reading way too much into two words. And already judging me on it.

Chill.

Carlos
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:12 AM

I like the idea, have a 20h. Im in. I like the idea of a 20 better than a ten or smaller. Maybe it could be limited to 4 plants instead of 3?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

you can use 4 plants as a bonus to add SOME creativity to the layout, a wild card plant would be allowed...

i agree with the 'hard to pull off' one though, because no one wants to do a tank just for comp, they want their own choice of plants etc...

:P
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

That's like some of Amano's tanks that I've seen. He sometimes departs from his very complex and varied designs to make a tank layout using just hairgrass or glosso with some decorative rockwork or tree roots as focalpoints.

If he can do it then you "Gaijin" (loud, furry and crazy foreigners) can do it as well.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:05 PM

How about just limiting the size of the tank, not the plants too.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Yeah. Now that I think of it... if you only let me use 4 plants then it's no go. I want my tank to be created by me and not rules. Maybe you could limit the tank size and let the person do whatever else they want. Maybe make sections for different types of tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode