How to best patch holes in tank cover? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have a glass cover for my tank. The front 2/3 are glass and the back is black plastic. The light sits on the middle third, and the front third opens for access. The back third can have portions cut out for equipment such as HOB filters.

I recently replaced my HOB filer with a canister. I had cut out a section of the plastic - approx 2"X5" - where the HOB fit. Now I have the canister tubes going in and out of an opening approx 2" in dia. near one of the corners.

What would be the best way to cover up the gap where the HOB once fit? I want to make sure my fish don't jump out, and I wouldn't mind slowing evap. I'd probably prefer something that didn't look too obvious,and that would stand up well to the humidity as well as any moving/removing of the cover.

Also, any thoughts about filling up the space around the two filter tubes?

I guess I'll probably eventually get a new cover, but I might not get around to it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)
The plastic piece.. does it just slip over the edge of the glass? If it does then you should be able to get a replacement piece at any LFS for pretty cheap (or maybe free)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
eds

No. It is not one of those with the clear plastic slip on piece. Mine is black plastic, permanently joined to the glass.

I'm trying to figure what types of material to use, and how to affix it. Simple materials at hand are things like plastic or foil wrap. Any paper or cardboard would get wet. Maybe I could cut some plastic out of a juice or soda bottle, or coffee can lid.

But then how to affix it to the cover? Tape? Glue? Something else?

A thin piece of wood simply sitting on top?

I might have some aluminum somewhere - siding or gutter scrap - that I could snip a piece out of.

I guess I could just tape a piece of cardboard on the top, and figure on replacing it frequently. Maybe wrap the cardboard in plastic wrap.

I'm not a really creative kind of guy in this type of thing. Hope you guys might have some answers.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
eds

In fact, now that I think about it - the front 1/3 that opens up is plastic instead of glass. The only part that is glass is the center portion that the light sits on.

I could probably replace it for @ $20. But if I could avoid it, I'm sure I could find something else to spend the $20 on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Go to your local hobby store and pick up a piece of Plastic sheeting used for making models. Then just glue a patch over the hole using crazy glue :-)

Works like a charm.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:50 PM

I know the stuff he's talking about, I think it's either styrene or polystrene. That would definitely do the trick. You could also check your local home depot or other hardware store, I'm sure they would something you could use that would be cheap.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
eds

Cool. Like black plastic sheeting. Hadn't thought of that.
Maybe I could just cut a piece out of a black garbage bag...
Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode