Hell Hath No Fury Like Green Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ok my greenwater has gotten worse. i cant even see into the tank now. arrrgh! i hate this. makes the tank look so nasty. should i still feed the fishes now? does anyone have any idea how long it will take to clear up? not long hopefully...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:47 AM

When I have a green water problem like this I dont mess around any more and wait. I have been using a product called Algae Fix and it works great and doesnt harm plants or fish. Clears your water up in a matter of a few hours. Mind you, I know that there is an underlying cause and you will need to sort that out, but in my opinion its better to sort it out from a clear tank instead of a pea green soup looking tank. New tanks frequently have this happen so dont fret it, there are choices.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:52 AM

To fix green water problem one of the thing you can do is to put your tank in total darkness for about 2-3 days. Wrap your tank with black colorued cloth, by 3rd day you should see water clears and all you need to do is siphon the chunk of green mud. Don't worry plant has a storage system that will keep them alive even 3days without light.

What causes green water might be that you have a nutrient defficency in one kind of nutrient that makes it a limiting factor for other nutrient to be used, which causes algae outbreak.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

well wasserpest suggested waiting it out, it would go away. i was just wondering if any1 had any ideas on how long it would take to clear its self up. im tempted to use something like algae fix, but i figure the greenwater would just come raging back again.... im hoping it will just deplete whatever nutrients its using and die! DIE!DIE!DIE! GREENWATER!......uh sorry, got carried away, lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:06 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you give us some current water quality levels we might be able to offer a more concrete solution.

Keep feeding your fish.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Like I said in your "Cloudy Water" question two or so days ago, it usually takes 6 to 8 days, and yes, it gets much worse before it gets better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:52 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I purchased some daphnia the other day to culture for my fish. In preparation for receiving them, I made green water that I thought was pretty green. Three days later, the daphnia have pretty much consumed all the micro-organisms that make up the green water. I'll probably have to resetup my culture, but they seem to be a viable biological alternative to any chemical means. Fish love to eat them so that might be a problem.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

ok ive gotten my water cleared up with diatom powder. i have been using constantly to keep my water clear. but it doesnt take long for the water to start getting that light green haze again. anyway i did some water test.... ph 7.6, kh 7, gh 14, no2 0.3mg/l, no3 10ppm,ammonia-0. so nitrates are usually kept at 10ppm right? i dont have a phosphate test yet but do you think there could be to much phosphate in the tank? or could there be to little? if its not phosphate causing green water, then what could be the cause? i really want to solve this problem any help uld be appreciated....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 03:35 AM

Without a Phos reading its like taking a shot in the dark. High phosphates have been known to cause green water and this might be your cause. Since Nitrates look like they are not the problem. Are you maybe overfeeding, this will cause an excess of phosphates? You could do half tank water changes and cut way back on feedings, even skip a few. See if that clears it up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 06:22 AM

I ad green water a few months ago.I tried the wait it out method but in my case it lasted 3 weeks.I finally got fed up and bought a diatom filter.Cleared my water in 2 hours to the point you felt like drinking a glass full it looked so good.

Since then I make sure I keep track of my nutrients a little better and another thing I did was I cut back my lights from 12 hours on to 10 hours on.Not only have I not had green water but other types of algae have disappeared.I think the most important thing is I'm keeping my nutrients at a good balance and it's really paying off.

If your impatient I would say a diatom is a good idea but it's a temporary fix if you don't keep track of your tank water.

Ernie
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 10:44 PM
you

I just had green water for a while before I tried hard to get rid of it, but then it cleared up really quickly. (couldn't see into the tank -> clear in a day!)

The desired effect is to remove the root cause of the problem: the nutrient imbalance in the tank. After trying to get the right balance (and failing) I did daily 50% water changes and no fertilizers at all. This starves the algae of nutrients and it dies quickly. After 4 days of this the water suddenly became crystal clear with no algae growing. I'm now starting fertilizing again (but slowly) to bring the plants back to a fast growing state.

The other bonus of this method is that frequent water changes will leave the tank looking clearer even if the algae is still growing, and water changes only help the tank.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

well i recharged my diatom powder last night about 8. i got home tonight and the water is still clear as glass. i guess ill just keep using the diatom powder for a while to keep it clear. are there any negative effects of diatom filtering? also should i still add ferts or just wait??
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
I just had green water for a while before I tried hard to get rid of it, but then it cleared up really quickly. (couldn't see into the tank -> clear in a day!)

The desired effect is to remove the root cause of the problem: the nutrient imbalance in the tank. After trying to get the right balance (and failing) I did daily 50% water changes and no fertilizers at all. This starves the algae of nutrients and it dies quickly. After 4 days of this the water suddenly became crystal clear with no algae growing. I'm now starting fertilizing again (but slowly) to bring the plants back to a fast growing state.

The other bonus of this method is that frequent water changes will leave the tank looking clearer even if the algae is still growing, and water changes only help the tank.
yeah but this method is also counterproductive cause you're starving your plants as well... if you keep the levels balanced your water will become clear... just patience... patience is the key
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

well my co2 diffuser was clogged up. i cleaned it out and now my plants are pearling again. my question is if the plants are pearling do i need to add ferts or should i wait?????
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:24 AM
you

You are right loachman, but it seemed to me it was preferrable to blacking out the aquarium which must be more stressful for the fish as well.

After 4 days of no fertilizers (except 1/2 dose of Excel) the levels were
0ppm PO4
3ppm NO3

This isn't incredibly bad for the plants as there will be some PO4 from the food (just used right away) and there was light as well.

I think that the best thing would have been wait until the algae went away on it's own due to a proper nutrient balance, but I was starting to get scared that the huge amount of algae respirating at night would use all the oxygen and smother the fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode