Algae Bloom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
Algae Bloom

What do you guys think i should do about an algae bloom i just got in the past few days. I just started CO2 about a week ago and i have a pretty heavly planted tank i have been adding flourish. I did a 20% water change today but it didn't seem to help any, i give the tank about 8 hours of light a day around 4.5-5 wpg on a 55 gallon tank. I have heard chemicals are bad but they get the job done what do you guys suggest. Oh ya and i dont over feed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kind of algae? But anyway, I was in a similar situation. My problem was solved once my tank got establish. If your tank is newly set up, then I would just try to clean up as much algae as possible, dosing correctly, keeping co2 amount in check, and purchasing a few algae eaters such as amano shrimp, sae, and oto cat. I think my best purchase so far for me is the sae. They are awesome lol.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1604 View Post
What do you guys think i should do about an algae bloom i just got in the past few days. I just started CO2 about a week ago and i have a pretty heavly planted tank i have been adding flourish. I did a 20% water change today but it didn't seem to help any, i give the tank about 8 hours of light a day around 4.5-5 wpg on a 55 gallon tank. I have heard chemicals are bad but they get the job done what do you guys suggest. Oh ya and i dont over feed. Thanks
When I converted my 40 gallon to a planted tank. I was too impatient and did not wait for the pressurized c02. Eventhough it was a heavily planted tank and I was dosing with fluorish excel, I ended up with all kinds of algae you could imagine. I had 2 55 watt AH supply kit tubes providing the lighting at about 2.5 watts/per gallon. It is almost like you have to introduce pressurized c02 at 30 ppm right off the bat with that much light to prevent any algae blooms, unless you are talking about diatom algae which almost always shows up when the tank is still cycling and nears the end of the cycle. Amano shrimp and otocats IME, will usually make short work of diatom algae.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what about double dosing woth flourish excel i heard that that takes care of algae
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You need find a way to balance out your lighting, CO2, and ferts- www.RexGrigg.com is a good place to read up on the micro vs macro nutrients needed to grow healthy plants.

If you can provide plants what they need for healthy growth, they will then be able to out-compete algae pretty much on their own.

With 4-5 wpg on a 40gal tank you will need heavy fert supplements of both macro and micro nutrients, plus very stable CO2 for the plants. Right now it sounds like you're mostly dosing micros (Flourish is more micros than macros)

Seachem has a recommended dosing chart if you'd like to stick with their products, go to : http://www.seachem.com/products/planted.html and click on the "plant dosing chart" link at the bottom left of the page.

Till you get a handle on the fert issues, IMO you should reduce your lighting down to about 2wpg and lower the photoperiod to 8 hours or less, then you can bump it back up once you've got the algae under control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ordered Flourush Excel, Potassium, and Phouphourus last week and they should be coming in any time now. I use flourish trace and nitrogen once before the algae bloom happened. Should all of these ferts along with co2 and the amount of light i have be sufficient to have a good tank? And my substrate is Carbi Sea Eco Complete

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode