Newly Planted Tank - Need comments - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newly Planted Tank - Need comments

Hi, I have recently setup my old arowana aquarium to a planted one. Im quite new to planted aquariums so comments would really be appreciated. My tank size is 72x18x18 (100 gallons), for lighting i have 4x40 watts of GE flourecent light which some say is enough for a low-tech aquarium. I also have a diy c02 with a glass diffuser. for filtration i have a 200 per hour canister filter. for fertilization i use fertilizer for my moms orchids which is 14% nitrogen, 14% phosporous, and 14% potassium. this is inhabited by 3 panda corydoras, 5 flying foxes, 7 shrimps, a betta and unknown number of MTS. and my plants are philippine java fern, java moss, riccia, amazon sword and 3 that i dont know.

attached is the picture of my aquarium, you may also check out my profile to see other pictures.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquafull.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	7041  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think the right side looks absolutely wonderful. I'd try something similar with the left side, and perhaps leave a little bit of space in the middle.

Great job!

Dave

My son's 29 Gallon - 1 Firemouth, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 6 Bloodfin Tetras
55 Gallon - always in need of some new plants - 1 Pearl Gourami, 7 Zebra Danios, 3 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 4 really old Amano Shrimp
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in the basement View Post
I think the right side looks absolutely wonderful. I'd try something similar with the left side, and perhaps leave a little bit of space in the middle.

Great job!

Dave
Thanks dave! actually the left side is kinda the foreground and the right side is where the big plants grow. I made it that way because this tank is acutally a divider for my dining area and living room. the effect is you can view it both ways from the living room side and the dining area side... ehehe confusing...

ill take your advise and do it on my other tank.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

Ahhhh...I see! I am still new at this too, so I'd wait for more responses.

Dave

My son's 29 Gallon - 1 Firemouth, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 6 Bloodfin Tetras
55 Gallon - always in need of some new plants - 1 Pearl Gourami, 7 Zebra Danios, 3 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 4 really old Amano Shrimp
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Smile

here are some other photos of my tank

Name:	aquafull.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	7046

Name:	half.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	7042

Name:	cabom.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7043

Name:	topside.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	7044

Name:	riccia.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	7045
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really like it. The layout looks like the edge of a stream or lake moving into open waters.

32 gal planted amazonian-ish tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (33/100%)
looks very amazonian... i could see you having some rams and a school of rummies or cardinal tetras in there... nice tank

"Over the beautifully shining green pasture and in the green forest, joyously sails fish... fish.
They support each other while playing leading parts by themselves.
The picturesque scenery calms down our hearts.
In the water is there a world."

-Taskashi Amano
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Planted Member

Very nice, kinda like how I wanted my tank to look, but the problem is, it isnt big enough lol. I would also be concerned a bit with your fertilizer with fish in the tank. Typically the ratio is 20:1:20 with phosphorus being the 1. Also with it being not for aquariums specifically they sometimes use not so great components, like ammonia. Dont get me wrong though, some will work fine, but I would read the label and see what it is made of.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabooya View Post
I really like it. The layout looks like the edge of a stream or lake moving into open waters.
Thanks skabooya thats the effect im trying to do.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltura View Post
looks very amazonian... i could see you having some rams and a school of rummies or cardinal tetras in there... nice tank
thank you saltura, after the tank is established im really planning to put rams and rummies..
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

Amazing job on this one. I love the rock that is being used as a sort of transition piece. Reminds me a little bit of the "drop off" in the ocean.

Too poor to keep any tanks up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwind View Post
Very nice, kinda like how I wanted my tank to look, but the problem is, it isnt big enough lol. I would also be concerned a bit with your fertilizer with fish in the tank. Typically the ratio is 20:1:20 with phosphorus being the 1. Also with it being not for aquariums specifically they sometimes use not so great components, like ammonia. Dont get me wrong though, some will work fine, but I would read the label and see what it is made of.
oh i didnt know that, maybe i should look for a good fertilizer thats really made for aquatic plants.. im not yet familiar with aquatic plant needs.. i just know i need light, ferts, and c02.. hehe. thanks for the advise Spiritwind
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan13 View Post
Amazing job on this one. I love the rock that is being used as a sort of transition piece. Reminds me a little bit of the "drop off" in the ocean.
thank you dave!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

Your Welcome . I really like the shape and texture of those rocks. Do they form a cave in the center?

Too poor to keep any tanks up

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan13 View Post
Your Welcome . I really like the shape and texture of those rocks. Do they form a cave in the center?
yes there is, but you can only see it on the other side, its where the shrimps hide.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode