New to plant tank...Need some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via MSN to sea-horsea
Red face New to plant tank...Need some help

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I am thinking about starting a planted tank with my 10 gal. seaclear flatback tank.
I've never had a planted tank before, but I used to have reef tanks for about 10 years and I had to stop because of moving. I had also breed seahorses in the past and thats how I got my username....anyways...

I have never had a planted tank and I am ready to start!!!!
Can you tell me how-to from scratch to a well-stablized system? Simplicity is what I've been doing with my reef tanks because I found it the simpler the easier and better for maintaining and over health of the tank.
I heard CO2 tank is a necessity...any DIY CO2 tanks?

again its a 10 gal. seaclear flatback with I think regular fluro. lights...I know i need an upgrade on lighting for sure..but how strong? and wats the range of lighting for diff. types of plants?

any links to learning anything about this hobby will help...from plants to plant safe fish and creatures and blah blah...

thank you all!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
You should be able to do co2 easy with a 10 gallon, the diy versions work best with tanks that are 20g or smaller, so you're good to go on that. 3 watts per gallon is good for a high maintenance planted tank, and say 1.5 for or lower for a low maintenance planted.

Here is some good info that should help you out greatly.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/arti...esofThumb.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You definitely can do DIY CO2- check out the Equipment forum for feedback on all kinds of different setups and recipes.

If you want a simple tank, low-light low-tech do not require CO2; 1.5-2 wpg is typical lighting for these tanks. Check out the Low Tech forum and there's a sticky at the top with a very large list of plants that have been successfully grown in low tech tanks.

There are all kinds of options out there; ferts, substrate, lighting options- this forum is a great resource, take your time researching and reading through thread, and ask all the questions you can think of!

www.RexGrigg.com is one of the best sites to start with IMO.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Hello sea-horsea,

If simplicity is what you are after then Low Light/Low Tech is what you are after. If the bulb that comes with your tank is 15 watt check out the the link in my signature(Excellent list of low light plants). That would direct you to some plants that would be suitable. Read as much as you can now before starting. The stickies are great and they are at the top of the selecteed forum. Use the search feature and really search and research on your own. Google is useful as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode