dual eheim 2217's on a 75 gallon, how to run them? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
dual eheim 2217's on a 75 gallon, how to run them?

So I'm going to be running dual eheim 2217's on a standard, high tech, 75 gallon tank.

Aside from filtration duties, I have to run an inline hydor 300w heater, and a Rex style reactor...

Do you recommend I fill both canisters with the supplied media and run the heater on one and the reactor on the other? Or

Fill one canister with media, and leave the other canister empty and run the heater and
reactor on the empty 2217?

My worry is that if I try to run a 2217 with the supplied media AND the reactor, that the flow would be greatly reduced.

Thanks in advance!

Mini-L Do Aqua! Journal...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some depends on how your reactor is made. I run a single 2217 on a planted 75 with the original Griggs design and find little loss of flow. But then there are many mods made to the design and people do have flow problems so it does come back to how far you may have moved from the design that worked so well.
I might question the need of two filters on that size tank. What purpose for the second? I find the 2217 has plenty of bio-filter and I was happy with the mechanical it did except for not having enough push to move things off the bottom and around to the filter intake. I found it much less expense and certainly less effort to clean by adding a small powerhead in places that needed to move more.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
No need to run an empty canister, just don't use floss in the one with the inline equipment so the flow will remain constant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode