Need Advice - Changing Filters. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (102/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mistern2005
Need Advice - Changing Filters.

Recently I moved my 7 zebra plecos from my 20 gallon long tank to a 34 gallon corner tank. I had a Eheim 2126 on the 20 gallon tank and a Eheim 2026 on the 34 gallon tank (same flow rate, just without a built-in heater). To compensate (becuase the zebras like very high flow), I've temporaily added a powerhead in the new 34 gallon tank. However I just purchased a Eheim 2076 (Pro 3e) for this tank. Now I need to transition filters.

The 2026 has 2L of Substrat and 1L of Efhimech. The Pro3e-2076 needs 6L of Substrat and 2L of Efhimech. I ordered the additional media and it should be in sometime this week. The question is how best to make the transtion without stressing out the zebras by creating a "mini" cycle?

I plan to use the old media and probably steal another 1L of established substrat from yet another established filter I have. But this is going to leave 3L of unestablished substrat and 1L of unestablished Efhimech in the new Pro3e-2076, not to mention unused blue and white filter pads (can't resuse the ones from the 2026 since they are a different shape).

Additionally I planned to strain the water left in the old 2026 filter upon disconnect with the new filter pads to help "seed" them. I also plan to pur the old mulm into the new filter. Lastly, I plan to use lots of ADA Bacter 100 and Green Bacter to facilitate the process.

Are there any other suggestions to make this transition as seamless and stress-free on the fish as possble? Has anyone else done this? I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions.

=======================================
L046 (Zebra Plecos) 3M/2F + Juveniles
L144 (SF Blue Red Eye BN Plecos) Juveniles
L134 (Leopard Frog Plecos) 1M/1F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO as long as the bioload stays the same between the tanks and your filter media, sounds to me like this should work... colonizing the substrate would be the only other thing I'd be concerned about- and this could be minimized if you plant the new tank and give the plants some time to establish before moving in the fish... Overall sounds to me like you've thought this out pretty well!

Moving some of the old tank water with the zebras should also help them adjust- though I'm sure you've already got that covered too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
As long as about half the substrat pro in the new filter is cycled stuff, I think you should be fine. I wouldn't bother to add any mulm to the filter. There will be enough on the used substrat. You may want to leave one of the old filters on the tank while the new filter cycles in. This will lower chance of you tank re-cycling or getting a bacteria bloom. Your idea of seeding the filters seems like a good idea to. Just fill it with water from your tank, and let it sit for maybe a day, anymore and the water inside may go funky on you.

33G: Eheim 2224, Finally have pressurized Co2 and Reactor

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode