anacharis and hornwort / crazy growth !! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 am new to plants in the aquarium. I hav a 20g with 2x65 pc. I fertilize close to instruction with flourish.

My anacharis (messy plant) and hornowrt are growing out of control. 2-3 inches a day, and the tops of the hornwort are turning a light pink color. Is this normal ?

I am putting together a 75g with 4x65 and pressurized co2, should i see similiar growth ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 AM

What do you mean by anacharis is a messy plant? I was going to get some when I setup a low light no C02 tank but was curious what you mean by messy.

Hornwort is a weed. Worse then bunnies in a cage with nothing better todo. It just grows and grows.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

The hornwort is pretty cool looking, especially how the top ends are turning colors (is that what people mean by "pearling"). Plus i read its great for egg layers.

the anacharis seems to shed garbage and the stuff grows like crazy. I ended throwing out several plants due to too much mess. 3 or 4 stems don't seem to make too much mess though. I think it would make an excellent low light plant, plobably shed less with low light...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Both of these plants are some of the fastest growers in the hobby. 2-3 inches per day is not uncommon. The red growth at the tips generally comes when you have more light than nutrients. So long as you're still getting growth, algae doesnt' stand a chance and you'll have a healthy tank. You'll find that as you become more experienced, you'll want to try more challenging plants and eventually discard the "easy" ones like Anacharis and Hornwort.

BTW, Pearling is when the plants release Oxygen so rapidly that it cannot dissolve in the water and actually forms a small bubble on the leaf surface. The many little bubbles looks like "pearls".

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:55 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
In my limited experience, anarcharis requires a decent amount of light to do well. When I had very low light in my tank, it shed leaves, got very leggy and light green, and eventually the stems rotted out. Now, it is doing fine at @ 2wpg.

When establishing your tank, both hornwort and anarcharis function well as algae-busters, sucking up tons of nutrients that would otherwise contribute to algae groth.

Tho I will probably bid these 2 adieu due to overcrowding, I am reluctant to do so as they helped me out when I needed it. Pretty stupid to feel emotional ties to a 99-cent plant, huh?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode