pH CO2 and KH chart accuracy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
"determining CO2 levels will be difficult, as the phosphate will throw off the pH-KH-CO2 relationship, which means the CO2 charts and calculator below won't work. Note that the commercially available CO2 test kits will also be invalidated by the phosphates." Chuck Gadd

Judging from this comment that Chuck made, does this mean that feeding fish regulary (increase amount of phospate) would throw off my ability to read CO2 level in aquarium? and at the same time invalidate CO2 test kits.

Thanks

p.s. my 10gallon tank reads pH 7.2 at KH 17 that's 38ppm of CO2. but my fishes are as healthy as activea and as hungry as ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
hmmm... I hope not, since I have quite a high phosphate level
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Poor fishy, i won't even know when they are suffocating .

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

watch for different behavior, especially swimming at the surface biting at the air.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Actually, IF phosphate is throwing it off, it will make the pH lower, in turn making it seem that you have more CO2 than you really do. Knowing this, just keep the reading below 20-30ppm (30 being the max safe limit), and it will never be higher than that, only lower.

One site said that if without injecting CO2, your level seems to be at more than 5ppm, something like phosphates are buffering the water.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

true ture...that might be the reason why my pH is so low (reads 38ppm) yet my fishes are healthy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:32 PM

the amount of phosphate required to throw the chart accuracy off is pretty high...well over the 1.5ppm that should be the top limit for phosphates.

What Chuck is referring to is when you add stuff like pH down.

3-5ppm of CO2 in a tank with no surface agitation or CO2 injection would be pretty normal...and not an indicator of high phosphates throwing things off. A tank will always have some CO2 in it.

I think you probably do have 38ppm of CO2. Despite what you may have read, most fish do fine with CO2 levels over 25ppm...but going beyond that doesn't help the plants...25ppm is the break point.
I've accidentally gotten my CO2 levels over 100ppm twice. I only lost a yo-yo loach, and I'm confident that it was the extreme drop in pH, not CO2 increase, that caused it.

remember, adding CO2 doesn't necessarily lower oxygen levels. pearling plants is an indicator of oxygen saturation in the tank.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
remember, adding CO2 doesn't necessarily lower oxygen levels. pearling plants is an indicator of oxygen saturation in the tank.
Very good post, malkore. Just wanted to add that a fish (or you, for that matter) can suffocate from high CO2 levels, even if O2 levels are high as well. CO2 is 'given off' by aerobic respiration because the concentration of CO2 is so much lower in the water/atm. If the concentration is higher in your breathing medium (water/air), it (CO2) will not be released by the hemoglobin. Thus, the binding site will not be freed up to accept O2, and the organism suffocates.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

urnida are you a member of any aqua plant club in Madison, WI?

I am a member of Madison Aquarium Gardeners, I'm wondering if there's any other club out there that would have plant exchanges session or meetings. Good place to meet more ppl of same hobby ^ ^.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
sqarit,

I'm not a member of any clubs. I didn't even know there were any :roll: ? Is Madison Aquarium Garden affiliated with the UW or a particular business? I love the idea of having a local plant-swapping club. I've just been selling my clippings to Aquatic Specialties, and they give me store credit in return.

PM me with more info, please .

Ted

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
3-5ppm of CO2 in a tank with no surface agitation or CO2 injection would be pretty normal.
Yep, mine was at 1.33 before I started injecting yesterday. I still have to test it once it has a chance to take hold.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode