POTASSIUM DOSING?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
hey all,

quick question about dosing K. i use chuck's planted aquarium dosing calculator, very useful if you dont use it. he suggests you dose K to 20ppm every week. i am wondering if the consensus out there is to dose K to the full tank volume each week, or if you just dose the amount of water you change each week?

thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

I dose to a certain amount, say in your case 20ppm and then dose to replenish what would be removed in a water change in my case 50%...

Do you follow... Dose initially to 20ppm and then dose what every percentage of water you change to get back to that number.

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:36 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbiz
I dose to a certain amount, say in your case 20ppm and then dose to replenish what would be removed in a water change in my case 50%...

Do you follow... Dose initially to 20ppm and then dose what every percentage of water you change to get back to that number.

Jason
Are you dosing to get just the water added to 20 ppm K or to raise the tank to 20 ppm K? How much N are you dosing for, 5 ppm or 10ppm?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Quote:

Jason
Are you dosing to get just the water added to 20 ppm K or to raise the tank to 20 ppm K? How much N are you dosing for, 5 ppm or 10ppm?
To raise the tank as a total back to that amount,20ppm potassium... As for N I dose dry, @1/2tbs but it really depends on what my tank water tests at...I shoot for 10ppm

Jason.

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:15 AM
PT Biologist

Starting with no N, if you shoot for 10 ppm N aren't you ending up with 30 ppm K? Do you dose for P?

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Starting with no N, if you shoot for 10 ppm N aren't you ending up with 30 ppm K? Do you dose for P?
Not to steal Scubas thread, as I have my own going on this issue, but looking at the math you our correct assuming the variable of how much is being used by the plants...... In MY situation this would be true, but I was just making an example for Scuba to go by assuming he isnt adding any other form of postassium like l am...

Thanks
Jason

Heavily planted
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info! i don't dose N, i have a planted discus tank and they take care of the N, and i would like to keep it as low as possible anyway, even if it does limit plant growth. my main concern was having enough K around so that as much N is used up as possible. thanks for the input.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:36 AM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Quote:
Not to steal Scubas thread, as I have my own going on this issue, but looking at the math you our correct assuming the variable of how much is being used by the plants...... In MY situation this would be true, but I was just making an example for Scuba to go by assuming he isnt adding any other form of postassium like l am...

Thanks
Jason
Sorry I dragged myself back to that thread. ops:

I think Scuba should test a few times to see how his tank is using the fertilizers and then dose as need after water changes. Since we don't (can't) test K I'd dose to get the K at 10 ppm in the volume of the water changed. It's just too easy to overdose K and the problems it causes are not the same as having an algae bloom from overdosing N or P.

Sean

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:48 AM

What problems does too much K cause? Are plants unable to take in other nutrients when there is too much K? I'm still getting the hang of this stuff.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:47 AM
PT Biologist

People using the fertilizing method that threw in as much K as possible were finding plants showing symptoms of nutrient deficiency. Usually it was a plant like Nesea or Hygrophilia that would have the symptoms of Ca or Mg deficiency. Poor growth in a tank that was growing everything else, small crinkled leaves. Then some people started seeing holes in the leaves. Pinholes in the leaves can be a symptom of K deficiency.

So it is possible that a combination of Ca and Mg deficiency causes a symptom similar to K deficiency except the leaves would rot away. We were going through the idea of reducing the K levels in a tank that had hygro with another guy on this forum. I think it was GulfCoastAquarian but my mind has grown feeble since I turned 40. I am waiting to hear if reducing the K fixed the problem or if I am just wasting bandwidth.

He did post an update in another thread after his CO2 ran out so I am waiting to hear from him again.

Sean

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode