Columnaris and hydrogen peroxide - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Columnaris and hydrogen peroxide

Hey guys.
I had a columnaris outbreak in my tank that wiped out my 7 Zebra Danios.
I heard that I need to sanitize my tank by practically taking it down.
I also heard if I dose the whole tank using h2o2 with about 1/4 of a cup of h2o2 per 10 gallo s all the columnaris will die along with my good bacteria.
Will this kill all my plants?
Is this a good way to sanitize my now fishless tank?
Are their better ways to sanitize and or g et rid of columnaris in my tank?
Btw, this is a 20 gallon tank.
THANKS!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
None of that is true that was told to you. Peroxide is a great algaecide, poor sanitizer. No loss of bacteria, or all these dosed tanks would spike ammonia. We dump huge amounts of it into full reef aquaria.

It is not indicated for treatment of columnaris, or any type of sanitization. Its a gargle, a very weak antiseptic but not strong enough to kill anything we can measure other than algae.

Sure you will get posts about 3% treatment causing an ammonia spike, but its just a one off observation like any other aspect of what we post. All other posts show no ammonia impact at a ratio of 99 to 1

This one guy set up a test tube of it in a lab, using vibrio, and peroxide killed it but it doesn't translate into anything we've shown in our multi year peroxide threads, with complex surface areas at play, tank variables vs test tube ones, the web is full of one off opinions about it.

The assumed effect on vibrio does not translate into filter bacteria so I say nbd. We continue to fix tanks with it, not sterilize them. I don't mean to imply if you wipe a kitchen counter, solid object, with peroxide and let it sit there untouched until it dissipates that no bacterial action has occurred. I'm just saying its poor compared to other actual sanitizers for the instance we are consider here, for columnaris in a tank.

Threads exist that show detailed peroxide work going on for years, thats a source of info about bacterial impact regarding peroxide in the aquarium.

Sure it could cure columnaris, its just not been shown to do that predictably like it does in other areas where it is amazingly predictable... If it works for you pls document the attempt well

Last edited by brandon429; 05-07-2014 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Sp
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The correct way to battle columnaris isn't by bleaching the system, which is better than peroxide in that effort, its to use c specific medication if chems are your route.

Bleaching is pointless for it. You'll reimport it potentially the second you add new fish

The reason Ive never had a problem w c is because I instantly qt any diseased fish they are never left in the system. Healthy individuals in a high oxygen clean and well maintained tank don't worry about it, and honestly I don't even treat removed individuals usually they are culled. No fish disease other than ich has ever been a prob using these methods.

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode