Snowy looking sediments on my plants and substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snowy looking sediments on my plants and substrate

Hi All,

I did a total rescape of my 2 footer tank yesterday. Washed the used substrate(ADA Power Sand and ASII) to remove its muddy state. Laid the substrate and top it off with NEW ASII Powder.

I then did the planting, Japanese Harigrass(Foreground), Isoetes Sp(Foreground), Anubias Barteri(around driftwood), C. Balansae(Background), Assorted Mosses(on driftwood), C. Albida(midground) and Some Blyxa Japonica(here and there).

Filled in water, did close to 3 x 90% WC. Started the filter(Eheim 2213 - 5 year old) and boom, filter was bust. Water was coming our real slowly(even slower than piss). Did everything i know off to release trapped air bubbles to even servicing the impeller. Still like piss!

So it was late and decided to leave it as is. To my surprise, this morning, some weird looking hairy stuff which is white colored was clinging on to my hairgrass,moss and also settling on the substrate.

I would post a picture, but I am cameraless for now.

What could it be?

Shall i vacuum it out? It will mixup my ASII(Powder) and the normal ASII though, shall I still do it?

Shall I just save the plants and blast them with water and scape again after the filter problem is resolved?

One thing I noticed when i was filling up water yesterday during midday that the water was really warm! Its really heaty here!

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sounds like a fungus? Which warm water could trigger... can you post a pic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Will try to tonight. But it will be with a cameraphone. Thanks for the reply Laura!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Or it could be the powersand... just saw that this was a recent addition, missed that the 1st time through...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

No worries. The powersand was thorughly washed in a netting-like bag at least 3 times.

Filter was washed thorughly as well.(one of my troubleshooting steps that i forgot to post, sorry!)

I can try siphoning it out, with at attached fine netting at the tip of the hose to avoid sucking the ASII Powder.

I dont know, I'll post a pic, maybe you guys would know what I mean. Unless its a new breed of "Area 51" type algae/distrubance!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I don't think washing powersand or aquasoil will really solve any problems. The aquasoil will dissolve into mud so if you washed it till it wasn't muddy you would be left with nothing. If you have stuff on the leaves try and siphon it out. Most likely you will have to blast it off the leaves somehow and then do a big water change. If you leave it on there you will get nasty algae showing up on there which will kill off your plants.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the long hiatus guys, did all the cleaning and the Snowy stuff is out. However my water is still cloudy and it has been almost a week, since!

Tonnes of WCs have been carried out and its still cloudy. I added some Amazonia I (Powder) 3 days ago to create a 'slope'.Could it be because of the Amazonia I (Powder) that I added on top of the ASII? ASI is said to contain more nutrients then ASII.

Some comments or feedback is very much appreciated.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 AM

get your filter fixed or get a new one maybe with UV
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

AS needs to cycle- it puts off tons of ammonia at first due to the organic content. If you check your ammonia levels they're probably very high ATM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode