Diy C02 causing surface film - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Diy C02 causing surface film

Arg, is happening again. My DIY C02 is causing my tank to have a surface film.

i know is from my c02 because i did a test and stop putting c02 in the tank for 3 days, there was nothing on the surface, then i put in c02 and 3 days later, there are bubbles... Its really nasty because then when i mix the surface with my hand, white strands go into the water.

Now, i could just raise my spray bar (xp3 running in a 20 gallon LOL) but that doesnt really solve the problem because its still there, just mixed in the water column now. I kinda want to get rid of it because im afraid that if i do use the spraybar pointed upwards, it will degas too much c02.

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
umm, maybe you set it up wrong, i have no clue what the white strands are but that could be yeast escaping into the tank.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
use a gas seperator.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Well, if it's really from the co2 setup, you could use a gas separator (ie homemade bubble counter).
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Mike

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
hahaha ninja'd

Mike

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)

I use a 3 gallon water jug for my yeast/sugar/water mix and a 24 oz gas separator bottle made from a plastic green tea bottle. It does a very good job of keeping the white yeast fungi's scum out. Every once and a while I'll have to wipe the end of the tubing from the Hagen ladder with a tooth bush. It works well. Both bottles are placed in a rectangular shaped water bucket with a heater set on 78 F.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yup thats exactly what i have.

Ok, so i have two nutrafin canister set up. It has 1/2 tsp of yeast in each btw.

They both go out of the top like ~5 inches then join at a brass T-conector. i took a rootbeer bottle (plastic) and drilled two holes smaller than pipe. I cut the pipe at an angle, and pull it through, the intake is 3/4 of the way down the bottl, and the outake is about 1 inch in. The water is about 2/3 full. I can see the bubbles lol.

Maybe i should use a 3 little coke like bottle that i have?

its late already so i will take pics of my setup tomorrow.

thanks!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a thought, do you guys think it may be the yeast i use?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I get some surface scum on all my planted tanks, and I use pressurized. If you can get a surface skimmer pre-filter, that will take care of it.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i wonder if there is anyway i can mod that to my xp3 lol.

Well, since i have more surface agitation, there is no more suface film, but also no more c02 ><

Guess ill just have to find the perfect balance where it stops the surface film from forming but doesnt degas to much. Then redo it when the water evaporates D:
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hm, well now my c02 indicator is blue and there is barely any surface aggitation.

Is it right that there is only one bubble every 6~7 seconds... That seems like such a big drop because last friday, it was one bubble every 4 seconds. I always hear people having like 2-3 bubbles in One second.

There is still surface film though. This time, its realy small and when i mix it up, it doesnt cause anything in the water although when i put one finger on top, it makes it like spread apart and look really cool.

I remember one thread where lauraleelbp (i think) said that it is fats and oils, which is common in new tanks. But this tank isnt that new, not in my opinion anyway, its been running for about 5 months.

Is the probably the gravel? I am using inert gravel right now, and if i remember correctly, it started having surface film around right after the time i did a substrate switch.

thanks!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Fats/oils/proteins left over from fish food, ferts, ect. I think I read it in a Tom Barr thread, to give credit where it's due

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ah.

Well, i havent fed the fish anything for two days lol. Well, except for after i put my most recent post in this thread.

And i havent dosed any ferts yet xD, although i will! Yay
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGuppy View Post
hm, well now my c02 indicator is blue and there is barely any surface aggitation.

Is it right that there is only one bubble every 6~7 seconds... That seems like such a big drop because last friday, it was one bubble every 4 seconds. I always hear people having like 2-3 bubbles in One second.
On my 29 gallon tank, I used to run 2 2 liter bottles for my CO2. I would put a new mixture in one bottle and alternate weekly. That keeps the bubble count steady and high.

Two to three bubbles per second is an amount generally reserved for pressurized systems.

On the surface scum note, white strands really sounds like yeast getting into the tank to me, as I did it once and made a horrible mess, but I was not using a gas separator.

Have you switched brands of fish foods recently? Even if you haven't fed in a couple days, fats won't go away in such short time. Try laying a paper towel over the surface quickly to absorb the oils.

Your fertilizers (dry i'm assuming) won't cause the scum.

Good luck

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would you mind telling me how much sugar, water, and yeast you use?

I dont get it though, how can the yeast get into the tank when i have a gas seperator already. The funny thing is, in the gas seperator, there is nothing on top of the water.

No, i havent switched foods. I have used Omega one floating flakes ever since i got my fish (i like it). Also, when i try to do the paper towel, its really wierd because it comes back soon. Dont want to waste paper D:

Thanks for the support

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode