Low light/tech plants WITH some color?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low light/tech plants WITH some color?!

I have a pretty GREEN tank and was wondering what are some plants that I could try adding to mix in a bit of color? I don't / won't run c02 and i use dry ferts with finnex planted + led fixture, temp 80, ph 6.6ish, kh 2 drop and gh 4 drops

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Echinodorus Rubin,Tiger Lotus,Red or bronze crypt might give you a little red but believe color is tied to CO2 availabilty.
I have used plant's metioned to get a little red out of otherwise green tank's.(low tech,non CO2)
There is also a rotundafolia (don't know if this is right spelling) that still provides a little red in low tech(that that I've seen) but I don't know which species of this plant for i have not used it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Try an Alternathera reineckii. I can guarantee they grow in no CO2/w light in the
high end of low range. Will of course grow noticibly slow and have a dull red under
those conditions.
I have had one in my T8 tank(10g)/w 2 bulbs for high end of low range since 03/15/14
and it has grown three new layers of leaves but they are deformed. An indication of
the fact that I put too much Laterite under the Eco Complete sub.
The tank gets a light dose of Micro/Macro ferts weekly though. It also has a Petco
Crypt in it that has funny colors only in the center of the plant. The other plants in there are more water column fert oriented and are fine. Just one more reason that tank is being replaced/w one that has more of what I want/need in it including the sub.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Tiger lotus would be a sure fire bet, had a couple of those but they got way too big and I killed both by pruning them too much.

Ammania gracilis may serve your purpose. I recently added some to my 75 gal, no CO2 (Excel though), 2 48" T5HO, pics in my latest journal update, about halfway down first page. (link in sig)

Also have some Mermaid weed , it's a nice yellowish brown, you may have enough light for that, Im not sure.

That's basically all the ones I have personal experience with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ludwigia repens....green on top of the leaves but red underneath. Actually does better and has more color for me in my low tech than my high tech.

40gal
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Planted Member

Red tiger lotus, ludwigia repens, or purple/red cabomba would do just fine in your tank. There are also reddish varieties of jungle val and a couple hygros.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for the great tips guys. I will keep an eye out for these plants in local sales. I should add that I am not really looking for plants that have to be super bright but just some change in color would be nice. I know I am limited without going high tech and such.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode