Product that kills algae - have you heard of it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Product that kills algae - have you heard of it?

I was told of this product that eliminates all types of algae without harming plants. Have you heard of it or tried it out??

http://www.eshalabs.com/protalon.htm

110 gallon Discus tank
65 gallon Discus tank
30 gallon Discus tank
20 gallon standby tank
10 gallon quarantine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
They are all gimmicks. As far as whether it works or not, I dont know, maybe someone else can help you with that.

My suggestion is to get your tank balanced and you will never have to look into that stuff again.

Nobody ever said it was easy... just rewarding.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I was looking into these also but then after I was doing more research I found that all my hair algae could be from what the artical says https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...ommon-Types/3/
that it is probably due to over fertilizing. Should I cut my ferts in half? Does that sound good? I am just starting to find out what a good EI is. My tanks are stable, neutral ph, no nitrItes or nitrAtes, gh and kh are somewhat high (hard well water), no ammonia, C02 is in the green.

I noticed that his link doesn't give any prices to the products and that the company is in the Netherlands. I imagine that the shipping for any products all the way from there to the US would be extremely high and that the product only treats 80 gallons. Also after every water change at least another half a bottle or so would have to be used.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Gar

PTrader: (6/100%)
If I recall correctly, most of those products also kill plants.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthb4438 View Post
I was looking into these also but then after I was doing more research I found that all my hair algae could be from what the artical says https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...ommon-Types/3/
that it is probably due to over fertilizing.
Reasonably sure the theory that excess iron and phosphates cause hair algae has been debunked. Look at your light intensity and photoperiod and make sure your CO2 levels are steady. Too much light for too long and/or inconsistent or low CO2 levels are more likely to be the cause than ferts are. Poor circulation could also prevent nutrients and CO2 from getting to some of your plants.
If there was a product that would rid a tank of algae without killing plants or fish it would not be a secret and there would be no need for the thousands of "how do I get rid of algae" posts on the various forums.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you could run down your tank specs (lighting, bulbs, wattage, photoperiod, tank size, bioload, plantload, dosing, etc) that may help ID some issues contributing to your algae issues... No product will help you in the long run if you haven't IDd and addressed the cause of the growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Some like JBL algol actually do work. But the algae will come back again if you do not fix it from the cause. The chemical will only suppress algae growth for some time.

While some other does not work well since they kill plants and fish along in the process. (beware of the high Cu content used to poison algae)

Best cure is prevention and correcting setup conditions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode