Bite marks or nutrient deficiency?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
After being very proud of my nice little melon sword https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5406, yesterday I noticed some horrible holes in some leaves. From about 40 leaves, maybe 10 are affected. These are not newly grown, nor exactly the oldest leaves. Can't really see a pattern, although due to whatever it is the leaves look sick green rather than red like the new growth or green/bronze once they are more established.

My first thought was potassium deficiency, but after looking at them a little longer, it doesn't seem to make sense, too sudden, and shouldn't it affect only the oldest leaves?

My suspect now is the pair of Ancistrus bristlenos plecos. They are in that tank for a while already and this is the first time something like that happens... There are no snails in this tank, apart from a few MTS, Yoyos and false SAE don't have the teeth/tools for that damage.

Seen something like that before? I think I did, and it was determined as Pleco damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
To me it looks like a nutrient defeciency, maybe lack of iron? :?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those look like chomp marks to me from a hungry pleco..... Notice how the ends of the leaves are untouched where he/she could not feast. I would expect to see holes everywhere if it was a nutrient issue...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks like fish damage.

Looks a lot like what clown loaches can do to your plants.

Could possibly be the suckerfish.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 PM

I guarantee those are rasping marks from some kind of pleco. I see these way too often in my tank.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

So it's the Ancistrus turned from algae-eater to lettuce-lover? :?
Darn, that's not what I wanted them for... they do look like balloons :roll:
Need to stay up late and watch them under the moonlight...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:54 PM
2la

Agree...the bushynose...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Why can't they eat lotus, or wisterias :roll: Or just stick to algae? But no, my favorite plant is what they need.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am glad that I resisted the urge to buy a pleco!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
I am glad that I resisted the urge to buy a pleco!
Here here, down with pleco's, in with ottos!

Matt
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That be your pleco thats munching away. They probably found some algea you didn't notice before. I just wish mine would work so hard in my tank.

Del Goins

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:41 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have the same type of marks on my sword with the same pattern. Old leaves only. Guess what? I also have a bushynose. I pretty much think it's a bushynose since none of the other plants show any signs of deficiency.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:45 AM

Yeah looks like fish damage to me also, if it were nutrient based it would be either in the veins of the leaf or in the leaf itself. ie like a general discolouration of the whole leaf or the veins showing up as light green. It it were nitrate based or calcium based the new leaves would be deformed.

So I tend to think that either you have errant snails, a clown loach (sometimes mine does this) of a catfish with a taste for melon swords.

Paul

P.S correct me if you think I am wrong, I could be.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

I think you are all correct. That kind of takes the Bushynoses off my list of recommended algae eaters for planted tanks. I was hoping they would help cleaning the glass, but they are not really interested in that...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:08 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
To be fair, mine does a great job of cleaning the glass, wood, gravel and anything else that has edible algae growing on it. I think Ottos are just as good though, but I can't keep them cuz my sunfish will devour them at first sight.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode