New aquarium please help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New aquarium please help!

Hello there i did setup my 80 gallon from 2 days ago with 2 driftwoods and some normal decoration and sand and under the sand theres some food for plants anyway theres some weird color in my tank like i don't know how to explain not clear water so please help im running some carbon and sponge in my back filter everything seems to be working fine in my filter but why the color is this normal or harmfull ?

I just want to know if this harmful or anything anyway im getting a java moss today im so excited lol and i hope someone can really help me with this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cloudy looking water is pretty much the norm while tank is maturing and will usually go away with time.
Another source of cloudy condition's could be from the wood pieces as they leach tannin's into the water.
These tannin's do not harm fish, but some folk's just don't like the look of weak tea colored water in which case,boiling the wood or leaving it to set in tub a of water for a few week's will allow the tannin's to dissipate considerably.
course the more wood,or larger the pieces,,the longer they can leach said tannin's.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just one more question im getting java moss tonight how im gonna put it on the sand?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower

Java moss normaly attached to somethink like wood or rocks try tieing it on with string or somethink this is what I read over the internet so im not 100% sure

Sent from my 7 Mozart using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does it need a lot of light?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

Pretty sure its low light think most moss is

Sent from my 7 Mozart using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How can i attach it to the sand?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbel101 View Post
Does it need a lot of light?
Not at all. Give it a few supplements every so often and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charbel101 View Post
How can i attach it to the sand?
You will need something for it to grow on. As mosses grow on more solid objects (rocks or wood) you will need to either put something solid and flat on the sand or hold it down with some mesh of some sort, otherwise it will float/shift with water flow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks archer for replying, ill stick it to the drift wood i have much easier
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

attached java moss to a piece of slate and lay it on top of sand. it does give an effect java moss grow on sand.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do i need to get for it food? i only have food for plants under the sand and i didn't start the cycle of tank yet like im worried that it needs ammonia or anything to grow and i can't anything for it in this moment
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

java moss getting it fertilizer from the water column, it does not required any form of root tabs. the reason why fish tank need cycling because ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish. during the cycling process bacteria starting to build up and break down ammonia into nitrite then another group of bacteria break down nitrite into nitrate, plant use nitrate as nutrient. when feeding the fish the excess food left over and fish waste will turn into ammonia then again bacteria come into place to convert ammonia and nitrite into useful nitrate for plants use. I hope it helps.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It looks to me like the cloudiness you're seeing in the tank is from the sand. It will eventually settle
Did you rinse the sand before putting it into the tank? Sand needs to be rinsed to remove the finer particles. If you didn't rinse the sand everytime you add a plant or move the substrate you might be creating another dust cloud in the water.

Trapperwolves

75 Gallon--Rainbow Fish Tank/Amano Shrimp
29 Gallon--Celestial Pearl Danios/Yellow Shrimp
20 Gallon--Ember Tetras/Orange Shrimp
10 Gallon--Chili Rasboras/Cherry Red Shrimp
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Java moss has no roots and will not anchor itself it has to be tied (or glued, or weighted) if you want it to stay in a specific spot. You can just place a clump of it on the sand and it will grow in all directions and the clump will just get bigger. It will also move around so you will want to put a sponge prefilter on your filter intake or you will always find it sucked onto and around the intake. I had some in my 46g but it was more of a nuisance than it was worth so I dumped it into my low light 10g and the other plants there hold it in place. It dosen't like too much light and dosen't need to be fed, it will take what it needs from the water column.
If you are trying for that pretty moss look, on your wood or rocks, I'd advise something other than Java moss since it grows in all directions with no real shape to it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
super glue gel works great for attaching moss to various objects and decorations.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode