advice on riccia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,

I am looking for advice on where I am going wrong with my riccia.

I have been trying to propagate riccia by floating it on the surface. Over a period of a month it hase become very washed out and doesnt seem to be multiplying. I have been trying to grow enough to use for a riccia lawn and attached to wood etc in a yet to be assembled high light tank.

It is currently in a 20 gallon tank with 40 watts of light an inch away from the plants, DIY co2.

Is it a fertilzer problem?, what fertilzers do they prefer?.

The stuffs so rare round these parts I cant afford to have it die on me!

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
My guess is that the riccia has depleted the nutrients in your tank and is starving. Have you tested for Nitrates and Phosphates? Riccia is like a nutrient sponge. Under good lighting (which you've got), and floating on the surface (limitless CO2 supply), it will suck a tank dry of nutrients pretty quickly. Especially in a 20g tank.

Get your nitrates up to 10ppm and Phosphates to 0.5-1.0ppm and the riccia will take off so fast you won't know what to do with it.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 01:23 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Get your nitrates up to 10ppm and Phosphates to 0.5-1.0ppm and the riccia will take off so fast you won't know what to do with it.
I know I don't .... except... there is always the compost pile.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's.

How do I get the nitrates up to 10ppm and Phosphates to 0.5-1.0ppm?. What do I add?.

Joe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Well, first test to be sure what your levels are currently. Then use Chuck Gadd's calculator to figure out how much Potassium Nitrate to add for NO3 or Fleet Enema for PO4.
Do some more reading on fertilizers and nutrients before you take the plunge. There are a ton of posts on this site on the topic.

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Riccia like to get a bit of iron quite often too. I usually give the tank I have it growing in a bit every month. (Sorry I don't really measure it I just go by feel.)

Del Goins

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode